Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Aug 18, 2006, 6:15 PM   #1

:?Out of the blue, my 256mb memory card and my olympus c740 gave me problems! It said to either format card or turn off camera. I took the card to the store to develop the pictures, and no pictures were found. I tried to download the pictures on my computer, and it keeps on turning itself off.I also tried a free download fromthisforum to find the pictures, but it kept on saying that the device wasn't ready.When I finally got it to stay on, I tried to format the card, but it said card error. Is my card shot? Can I recover my vacation pictures somehow? I tried the original 16 mg card in the camera and it works fine. HELP!!!
kathyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2006, 3:22 PM   #2

Kathy - I just had the same problem this morning and found this website. Another discussion thread suggested Digital Image Recovery - free recovery software. The software was recommended by JimC the forem moderator - so you should be able to trust it

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=52

I just downloaded the software and ran it - it worked perfectly.

My camera is a Olympus D-580 with a Olympus 256 Mb XD card

Jeff
the hangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 4:25 PM   #3

I can't get the digital image recovery program to work. I keep on getting CARD ERROR, and that is why I am wondering if my card went bad. I can't format the card, I can't erase the card, I can't get it to do anything!
Old Aug 24, 2006, 6:33 PM   #4

My camera kept going to a screen that had two choices: SHUT DOWN or REFORMAT

When I inserted the card into my computer it said it was not formatted.

I wish you luck - maybe someone else will know what to do if we keep this thread active

Jeff
the hangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 11:48 PM   #5

Buy a card reader ... and try again
belgian pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 12:14 AM   #6

That will probably be my next step. When the card is in my camera, it says to turn off camera or format card. I tried to format the card, and that is when I get the CARD ERROR message. When I tried to find the pictures with the recovery program, my camera is never ready - just that error message. The camera works ok with a different card. Thanks!
Old Oct 26, 2006, 2:44 PM   #7

I'll bet virtually anything that you have an Olympus card. This happens far less frequently with the Fuji card. I've had two Olympus 1 gig Type H cards go bad on me in four months. My Fuji card has been pristine for fourteen months.

I have read, but not yet tested, that the Olympus USB drive which accepts the xD card will permit a reformat of the card which renders the card useful again. I hate spending more money to find our if this is true, but i have no choice in the matter.

Best advice: stay far away from Olympus cards. IMO, they stink. Buy the Fuji.
glowbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 3:23 PM   #8

Thanks for the advice. I ended up trashing the card.......bought a new 512 card that IS NOT AN OLYMPUS! I also download my pictures as soon as I am done taking them~
Old Nov 17, 2006, 1:30 PM   #9

Reference the problems with XD cards, I have had much the same experience with cards working fine one minute, putting them in my multi card reader to find that the card is able to be downloaded to the PC but when the card is replaced in the camera it is no longer recognized and asks fora format. When this is tried the format fails and the card is unuseable. The answer from Olympus here in the UK was to always download via the USB cable to the PC and not to use the muti card reader. It would be great if this advice appeared in the instructions. In the past I have managed to recover the cards by taking them to a camera shop and getting them to reformat them in another camera. Sometimes this means trying a number of cameras and even then is not always successful. If anyone has a better answer please post it.

BobP is offline   Reply With Quote