Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Aug 19, 2006, 8:16 AM   #1

l've purchased two Sandisk 1GBcards and my camera won't let me format. It tells me right out of the chute, it can't use the card. The people at Circuit City told me I had an "old school," cheap, foreign piece of junk camera. Just wondering if anyone else has had a Vivicam 4k take a 1gb SD card? Maybe a different manufacturers card?
Karina is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2006, 12:23 PM   #2
Administrator

Vivitar is not known for the quality of their Digital Cameras, and I don't know if you'll find anyone in a major digital photography forum using your model.

Interestingly, this particular Vivitar model seems to cost as much or more as similar models from the major camera manufacturers. So, perhaps the quality is better than some of their older models (but higher cost is not necessarily an indicator of better quality).

A lot goes into making a good camera (lens quality, autofocus speed and reliability, color accuracy, cycle times between images, buffer size for how many photos in a row you can take before the camera slows down, control layout, viewfinder/lcd usability, menu layout, flash accuracy/range/recycle times, image processing algorithms, etc.

I'd probably try a smaller card. Some cameras can have problems with 1GB SD cards, and you might find that a 512MB card will work instead.

If that doesn't work, you may want to try a different card brand.

Unfortunately, many vendors won't allow returns of shrink wrapped memory card products. You'd have to check with yours to find out.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2006, 2:43 PM   #3

thanks for the answer. So far Circuit City and Office Depot have taken the SD cards back. I asked before I bought it this second time. Both times it was the Sandisk brand that was on sale.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"You know your stuff, my VivitarWILL take the other cards you mentioned. Guess I'll have to make due with what I've got.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I was wishing it was something I was doing wrong, so I could get to have the flexibility of a bigger SD card. Thanks again.
Karina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2006, 7:06 PM   #4
Administrator

.This may not help. But, if it wre my card I'd try it before returning it. The Download link is at the bottom of the page.

http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/c...formatter.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote