Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old May 22, 2003, 7:50 PM   #1

Default Lexar vs. SanDisk Ultra

Why do Lexar high end CF cards command 35 - 45% more than SanDisk? Is there something behind it or is it just good marketing? From the speed test I've seen the difference is negligible and oh so slight.
folmonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 23, 2003, 12:45 AM   #2

In the higher end cameras, the Lexar are faster. For the average user, they are not. Look at this page for more info (about high end cameras only)
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...e.asp?cid=6007

For example, on the Canon 1D:
Lexar 512 WA 40x averages 2982K/sec
Sandisk Ultra 512MB averages 2710K/sec

Nikon D1H
Lexar 512 WA 40X averages 2512K/sec
Sandisk Ultra 512MB averages 1680K/sec

Between 300K and almost 1MB per second faster. Not bad.

Lexar Professional 40X WA 512MB $189.95
Sandisk 512 Mb Ultra $159.95

For 30 bucks (20% higher) some people get a rather large speed improvement. It isn't faster for me, but for others it is most certainly worth it. In the EOS-10D, it isn't worth it... the speed difference is less than 40k.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2003, 8:13 PM   #3

also Lexar backs their product better by actually having a number to call and a person to talk to when a problem arises. i have just sent my 2 1GB 32x pro cards for upgrade so there will be no issues with a D1x/h camera that i occasionally use. they paid the fedex ship back overnight and hopefully i'll have them tomorrow or monday.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2003, 10:34 PM   #4

Very nice. I've heard some good things about Lexar before, but that is really nice of them.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2003, 11:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric s
Lexar Professional 40X WA 512MB $189.95
Sandisk 512 Mb Ultra $159.95
Eric - I've just bought two SanDisk Ultra 512Mb for $115 on eBay. It's amazing the prices you can find there.
Old May 30, 2003, 6:11 AM   #6

sjms.......
Quote:
i have just sent my 2 1GB 32x pro cards for upgrade
Did you mean the card itself is upgraded, (i.e the firmware code/ CIS) or did you mean changed for another card?
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2003, 6:19 AM   #7

They upgrade the firmware.
Jola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2003, 10:00 AM   #8

That thought worried me. We have cameras which have trouble reading/writing to certain cards, which apparently conform to CF standards. Now we have cards that don't work with certain cameras and need their firmware changed - if I understand correctly.

Oh, and we also have cam makers who exploit the 'private' CIS data area on cards to make sure their cards provide extensible cam features, which generic cards can't provide because although they could, can't because their oem ID looks different.

Sounds just like the marketing of razors with proprietary razor blades, to block a horizontal market in compatible blades- or in this case card media. This explains why cam manufacturers (unlike mp3 products), dare not offer full reformat facilities to ensure oem cards will always work.

Other people here are saying CF is a stable media format - and it's the cam manufacturers who are getting their interfaces wrong!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2003, 10:38 AM   #9

the cards work fine on my 1Ds and D7Hi. the issue was with their own implementation of the WA tech on the D1x/h models(which the sold to nikon). they did an oops! they took responsibility and they're cleaning up the mess that was made. that puts them well ahead of a lot of manufacturers. they believe that their cards should work on every camera out there and they're willing to make sure they do.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2003, 11:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjms
. they believe that their cards should work on every camera out there and they're willing to make sure they do.
I think that's great but as each mfg. tries to separate themselves from the pack they'll try and get peripheral suppliers to break ranks. Probably by offering new features and benefits dedicated to their brand.