Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old May 24, 2003, 4:37 AM   #1

Default Sandisk Ultra CF question

If I get a Sandisk Ultra 256 CF, do I have to get the Cruzer USB Flashdrive that cost $90 or so as well? Can some el cheapo CF reader read it?
archerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2003, 4:54 AM   #2

Get a reader that comes with special format utilities (CFprep/SMPrep). If it doesn't come with a CDrom in the box, personally I wouldn't choose it. I've had some card format problems which I could fix, and others here couldn't!

On a USB reader you have two choices, normal USB1 speed suported by all USB motherboards, USB2 much faster on newer pc's but generally plug in the back (to prevent cable slowing data transfer). Checkout Dazzle 6in1(USB1) and Dazzle Zio (USB1/2). These are pretty cheap. NB both readers will cope with fast cards.

I've looked at some more expensive, internal readers, but because of internal interconnections and wiring required, I'm doubtful you could get USB2 speed, even though it's ultimately limited by the media.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2003, 5:21 AM   #3

Thanks. I think I'm gonna try the Sandisk Imagemate USB 2.0 reader since my computer supports USB 2.0. I can get it at CompUSA for $20. I'm guessing Sandisk's own reader should be able to read their own cards.
archerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2003, 6:20 AM   #4

It's not reading cards that's the problem, it's when the CIS table on the card gets screwed and you find you've bought a reader that can't write a default table back, to bring your expensive card back to life! Read about it on this Forum. However, I think some Sandisk readers do ship with reformat progs on CD, so just check it out.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2003, 12:57 PM   #5

Considering the recent trouble people have had, it would be interesting to know which reads to support (should I say "come with"?) software which can rewrite the CIS table.

I'm going to have to get a USB2 reader in awhile, and like you, I'd like skip the ones which don't come with recovery software which doesn't handle the CIS table.

I also have firewire, do firewire drives have the same problem that USB2 readers have? What I mean is that people have said you need a "special" card matching driver which allows access to that specific part of the CF card which has the CIS table. Is this a problem/issue with firewire readers as well? Or can they access the entire card?
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote