Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Sep 9, 2006, 12:54 AM   #11

Enigma you wrote me:While the Sandisk Ultra II Plus is out I personally would not use it. Yes it /IS/ convienent to have that USB attaching ability but from all I've read on the card and actually seeing it in person (some guy was changing memsticks and the "plus" caught my eye so I asked him about it) the point of failure is the hinging flipping point.

When I got to see it in person I was shown how to snap it to bend open to put into a USB port. To me it felt very flimsy. Heavens forbid if you dropped it when it was in the bent position and stepped on it. The USB is nice but I personally would opt more for the one piece solid design. I have stepped on a SD card before and it held up well. It was purely accidental when I dropped and stepped on it but keeps working fine.

I don't know if the Plus is still useable if it breaks in half. Perhaps it can work in mini-SD units? I don't know. I would not chance it. Over here in Toronto, Canada the Plus seems to be a few dollars more then the normal Ultra II. It looks to me to be the same specs. anyways so if it was my money I'd go with the old design and know it can last longer. If the price was $10 for the Plus then sure I might go for it otherwise no.

Card readers are pretty small now a days and if you wear cargo pants it can slip into the side pockets easy. Heck I've seen homemade neck strap attachment holders for small card readers attached to the camera strap which looked a bit geek/nerdy but appearances aside, it was very functional and you'll always have your reader with you.

Zero_Enigma

Your point seems me 100% true...but "This" specific model was cheap that the "Normal One Piece" one...as I loaded on my FZ-20 camera & ONLY download the photos trough the supplied "Cord" loaded the card inside the body camera...i hope...that will be OK for many years.

Thank you so much for your point...I really learn a lot!

Peace,

Alex 007:|
Alex 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 2:03 AM   #12

Alex 007 wrote:
Quote:
Your point seems me 100% true...but "This" specific model was cheap that the "Normal One Piece" one...as I loaded on my FZ-20 camera & ONLY download the photos trough the supplied "Cord" loaded the card inside the body camera...i hope...that will be OK for many years.

Thank you so much for your point...I really learn a lot!

Peace,

Well I use a Canon S2-IS. Not that it makes a difference. If the card goes in make sure it can come out with having the carry a small screw driver to jimmy it out. That's ome of my fears withhte hinge setup after it gets loose over time when you try to remove something fromt he camera it may break inside then you have to fish it out. If the SD card will freely go in and out then yah keeping it in the digicam and using the digicam cable to retrieve the photos is a good idea/setup. Don't know how much you shoot but 512mb is small if using max res. shots but if you're shooting 2-3MP then it'll hold a lot. IMHO if you're going to keep it in the camera in that setup it would make more sense to source out the 1gig PLUS card and see if you can get a good deal on it then keep it in the camera so if you had to shoot an all nighter you'll have the ammo to do it or just shoot a little bit at a time. Like a gun, more ammo is cheap. That 30rd magazine can shoot 30rds when you need it or just the occasional 1-2 rounds from time to time but when you need the full 30rds it's there. Better then a missed moment. :sad:

Anyways, it's jsut my IMHO view on things. "If you needed it and you did not have it, it would suck" is my view.

Zero_Enigma
zero_enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 8:52 AM   #13

Hi my dear Zero_Enigma,

No need more bigger card, as twice capacity here in Israel, the price go up...not proportional, & also my two cameras that use SD cards, are one 4Mb & the Panasonic 5Mb, also...I don't take a lot of photos, so covers all my needs.

My "Prime" DSLR is a KM Maxxum/Dynax 7D one with uses CF cards! & CF type; I own 4 of them also covers all my needs.

I really hope...that will work at least a few years forward, if that will happen is 100% Ok for me.

Thank you so much for your extremely cute advices.

Peace,

Old Sep 10, 2006, 10:41 AM   #14

Persistence paid off, I called again,and againgot a direct number for the original sales guy, called had a colleague of his pick up eventually and she was great, took my number and my email got the form digitally and emailed it to me so I am all set. So finally broke open the packaging and can use this sucker. Buy.com had the same offer seems on and off for now if you search you will find the 1GB Ultra II (not plus) for $29 after rebate) that is a great buy.
creeduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 2:25 PM   #15

Hi Creeduk,

Check very well if what you received is not a Fake one?

For me...when is so cheap...something don't fits...

Happens to me...:P with a CF one...really very...very...hard tobe
distinguished, I was extremely..., extremely angry:evil:

Learn here...

http://martybugs.net/articles/fakesandisk.cgi

Attached a photo of the "Fake" one!:flame:

(Was returned & I obtain my payment back!).

Peace,

Attached Images

Old Sep 10, 2006, 4:16 PM   #16

Did you buy from Ebay Alex? Mine was from an authorized reseller for Sandisk so I would doubt they would risk selling fakes. The rebate is direct to Sandisk so they know what is sold and get the original bar-code for each one so I feel confident it is real. I checked and I have the notch at bottom, the label is correct, the packages seem right, my only difference from the described genuine article is the lock switch on mine is gray not white, but the fake is listed as sawtooth or yellow. So may sandisk changed color?
creeduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 11:33 PM   #17

My dear Creeduk,

No mine was acquired here in Israel, trough a local Internet seller.

My wife was there at that store, & get the money back..BUT...this accident teach me to ALWAYS buy from a reliable store...if I need to pay 10-20% more...So I do so...& now my 3 last SanDisk acquired two CF a Ultra ll 512Mb & Extreme lll 1Gb, and the SD Plus 512mb..all from the same Photo store that for more of 45 years I acquired my Film gear, in Tel-Aviv, founded in 1933, yes I'm honest cost me more...but are 100% originally.

Also in USA all the Ultra & Extreme cards came inside a carton box with "Lifetime" warranty, (Here & all Europe only 10 years warranty):!: There you will find when the packaged was made, all my new 3 SanDisk cards are from 2006...so can be a change of color...as you wrote me...but...I'm NOT 100% sure.:?

Also I can't understand WHY only SanDisk brand you may find "Fakes Ones":!: I don't meet any other cards brand that exist fakes ones.

I add a photo of one of my acquired, 100% genuine card!

Peace,

ALEX 007:|
Attached Images