Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Aug 31, 2006, 6:56 PM   #1

Just wondering if I can transfer pics from my computer to my LexarJumpDrive ?Or can I only transfer pics from my camera to theJumpDrive ?The options when I plug in my card don't allow me to transfer pics from the computer to theJumpDrive and I already took them off my Canon A620 camera to my computer...Can anyone help me here? Thanks Pat
postie109byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2006, 11:54 PM   #2
Administrator

I'm confused. You're discussing a Lexar Memory Stick (and Memory Sticks are used in Sony Cameras). Yet, you mention a Canon camera model.

In any event, if your camera shows up as a removable drive under "My Computer" (if you're running Windows), then you can copy files to it, just like you can copy files to any other drive (using Windows Explorer versus any kind of special software). If not, you can use a card reader instead.

But, a camera may not recognize images if they've been modified in any way by an editor (or if they were taken by a different camera). You'd also need to make sure you put them in the correct folder on the drive before you'd have a chance at them being recognized by it (cameras are very picky about photos needing to be exactly as they were taken before they'll display them).

If you're only trying to copy them to temporary storage for bringing them to a vendor for printing, it wouldn't make any difference what folder you copied them to, or if the camera was able to recognize them or not.

If you do take that approach, I'd suggest formatting the card again prior to using it with the Camera's menus for format (sometimes you can corrupt memory cards due to incomplete writes using a PC to copy files to one, so formatting it with the camera prior to using it again is a good precaution to take).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 8:30 AM   #3

Sorry about Jim.It's not a memoty stick I have,but a JumpDrive...Daaa!!!Anyway any suggestions for this problem I have. Pat
postie109byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 8:39 AM   #4
Administrator

OK...

That drive is not designed to plug into a camera. It is designed to plug in to the USB port of a PC. With most operating systems, it should automatically be detected as a removable drive.

In Windows, you'll find it under "My Computer".

All you need to do is go to the folder you have your images in (probably on your C drive somewhere). Select the desired images (use Edit, Select All if you want everything in a folder, or hold down the control key while clicking on selected images). Then, select Edit, Copy.

Then, go to the Jump Drive under My Computer, double click on it to show you a root folder, and use Edit Paste to copy the photos to it (or make new folders as desired on it).

It works just like copying files between any other folders on your PC. The difference is that it's a removable drive.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote