Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (
-   Misc Accessories (
-   -   filter help.... (

photosbyvito Jul 12, 2004 11:13 AM

ok, i'm looking for a polarizer...

i've heard that the circular polarizers are the ones to get, but, should i worry about "fake" ones? or not so much "fake" but ones with lesser quality? or is that not a big deal with filters?

this is where my "digital-only" experience is bad :-\

I'd like a ND filter too, but a polarizer cuts out some sunlight right?

well...thanks for tolerating my filter-nooby


Mikefellh Jul 12, 2004 4:01 PM

Check out this site for what the polarizer does:

It's not an instant fix filter, you have to look at where your light source is comming from, and as well adjust (rotate) the polarizer.

There are two main types, linear and circular, linear will work with most cameras except modern SLR and dSLR cameras, circular will work with all cameras but costs more.

Of course you should buy good quality filters.

photosbyvito Jul 12, 2004 4:07 PM

thanks mike, i appreciate it...i know it isn't an instant fix, but i've read in many places a lanscape photographer must have one...and i've seen the things it can do..

anyway...does this brand, ring a bell....or do they make good quality filters?


i've seen hoya filters on ebay...and they are a big name, so i might get one of them...


vjack Jun 26, 2005 9:38 AM

I'm also looking for a circular polarizer for a Canon 20D. I've heard of Hoya, Tiffen, and B+W, so I assume that all three are acceptable brands. Unfortunately, it seems that each brand has various quality grades that I am still trying to understand.

n_willox Jun 26, 2005 5:42 PM

I know this is somewhat off-topic but i thought i might be able to sneak it in. So, here goes: I just bought a camera with a 52mm thread, but I already have a filter that is only 49mm. And I'm planning to buy two more filters for my camera. 1) Is it possible to use a 49mm filter (with a downstep for the threads) on a 52mm camera? Or would you see the edges of it in your picture? 2) What is more common? 52mm or 49mm?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.



CCWKen Jun 27, 2005 9:26 PM

Depending on the camera, you'll probably see vignetting in wide-angle mode using a 49mm filteron a 52mm lens ring. You can go bigger but usually not smaller. As far as which is more common depends on the source but 52mm is a common size.

vjack Jul 1, 2005 6:02 AM

As expensive as good polarizers are, I am not crazy about buying one for every lens. Sense my camera is brand new, and I only have 1 lens at this point, it seems crazy to buy a polarizer until I know the size of the largest lens I'll ultimately get. I can always use step-down rings to fit a larger filter to a smaller lens, but I'm not supposed to go the other direction, right?

PeterP Jul 17, 2005 11:20 AM

Late as usual :-)

I generally stick with Hoya UMC or Hoya Ultras if the lens is wider than 19mm.
The B+W are excellent as well.

I do tend to buy one for each lens thread size, as stacking or using step rings can cause vignetting in some cases.

I'm currently looking for a polarizer for my lens with the largest intake, which is 105mm.
So far I only found 1 manufacturer and the stores want close to 400$cdn for it.


bigdawg Jul 17, 2005 5:36 PM

Try the Cokin filter system as they offer filter systems from the small to the large format cameras.
The Cokin system is stackable and the filters are very reasonable in price. Go here to see the system I bought.;forum_id=18


bradg Jul 20, 2005 11:55 AM

B+W all the way.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 2:37 PM.