Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Nov 21, 2006, 1:45 PM   #11

Can one buy filters for a simple p&s digicam? (i have a canon a630..)
stefaantje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 2:43 PM   #12

Quote:
The last time there was glass between me and a museum exhibit, I had no polarizer. The camera saw my reflection in the glass (I was wearing a yellow jacket). Next time, I will have a polarizer. I want to know how to eliminate the reflection.
If the camera can see your reflection while you are taking the photo the reflection will not be polarized and a polarizer will filter out no part of it. A polarizer is totally useless to filter out reflections where the source causes a direct bounce back to the camera.

If you analyze the source of the light on the window frame which you are able to filter with a polarizer you will find that it is reflecting off the surface at an angle – usually thirty degrees or less.

Quote:
If you have any resources, let me know.
This has a fairly simple explanation of sky polarization. It might not seem very simple until you find some of the really complicated explanations. http://www.warren-wilson.edu/~physic...Sky/index.html

Quote:
Can one buy filters for a simple p&s digicam? (i have a canon a630..)
You can use a LA-DC58F adapter made by Canon and standard 58mm filters. Steve has pictures: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_.../a630_pg2.html

I always wear Nikon polarized sunglasses. They are coated and advertised to be color neutral. I tilt my head until I get the best polarization effect and then hold the lens in front of my pocket camera at the same angle. I have a quality polarizing filter for my large cameras and the Nikon sunglasses work just as well. I didn't buy a pocket camera to carry a bunch of junk around for it. The sunglasses have a perfect holder – my nose.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 9:38 PM   #13

Quote:
A polarizer is totally useless to filter out reflections where the source causes a direct bounce back to the camera.
I think I see what you mean. I just aimed the camera at my bathroom window (it is currently night). The door frame behind me appeared as a reflection in the first pane. Rotating the polarizer did nothing.

I'll check out those links now. The polarizer might not have helped in my museum experience last year (a historic person's office) but after I read your links I should be able to figure it out.

Thanks!

saturndude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 12:37 AM   #14

Changeling writes: granthagen, I've seen you respond to a lot of posts with authority and obvious expertise in camera related questions. Wanted you to know I find your responses/anwers very helpful in making my decisions.

Gee, whiz......

If nothing else, this is a ringing endorsment of my ability to make it sound as if I know what I'm talking about!

Maybe I should consider running for office....

As for the actual question, I agree with slipe and the others who echo his opinion. Now, this guy really does know what he's talking about, so, maybe he could be my running mate in '08!

Grant

granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 1:06 PM   #15

granthagen, are you out of your mind!!!!!!!!! If you run for office, that will make you a politition, and "NOBODY" will believe a word you say!!!!!!!, LOL.
Changeling is offline   Reply With Quote