Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Nov 2, 2006, 11:00 PM   #1

I have a Canon Rebel XT. I would like to know what type of external device would I need to store images on to. I am a planning a trip. I ask this because I feel I may full all my cards with images.
Imacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2006, 9:42 AM   #2

There are several different types and a wide price range. SmartDisk has a 40GB PhotoBank that runs around $180, all the way up to the Epson P-4000 that is close to $600. There are also stand alone CD and DVD burners too. I bought a little 20GB storage off of e-bay that is basically a 20GB Laptop memory card stuck in a box with card slots for different memory card types. I paid less than $80 for it and it works like a champ.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 10:33 AM   #3

What your telling me can the product be hooked up to the camera it self. I am not taking a notebook computer. I just want something to hook up to my camera and transfer photos to.
Imacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 10:35 AM   #4

most of these devices you just take your memory card out of you camera and plug it into these.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 4:39 PM   #5

Hi Imacer,

Steve reviewed many external storage devices which can be found here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/digi_...s.html#storage

(Or "Our reviews" > "Accessories" > "Image storage devices")

Although they are rather old (2004), all the features reviewed and listed are present in current brands and models. It is a good starting point for your research. There are many many more products nowadays, and the listed models may be old and even discontinued.

I have also posted my experience with these storage devices:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=52

This should give you some background information and knowledge about these OTG ("On-The-Go") devices.

I guess the bottom line is: if you don't want to hassle, want trusty brandnames, and are willing to pay, you should go to a major photo equipment store and ask them what they sell. If you are a bargain hunter like myself, you can find much cheaper non-brandname products which work equally well on the web or eleectronic stores, as long as you know what to look for.
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 7:58 AM   #6

Caboose wrote:
Quote:
most of these devices you just take your memory card out of you camera and plug it into these.
fully agree,

alice.m

alice.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 8:53 AM   #7

I use the Hyperdrive HD80 (link upper left)

http://www.hypershop.com/shop/

This front page item is new. My HD80 has worked flawlessly for years. One of the best features is that it uses NiMH AA's.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 12:42 PM   #8

On the HD80, can you look at the photos you've taken? It says you can access files, but the screen seems to not be a color screen.

I'm asking because someone in a Ritz store a few months ago told me the solution was to buy an MP3 player. I didn't get the opporunity to ask him more about it that day and every time I go in he's either not there or I don't have time to wait for him to finish with the customer he's with.

Anyone have any comments to using an MP3 player for this. I don't remember what brand he mentioned he uses.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 4:45 PM   #9

No, you cannot view the photos. Actually, it turns out the HD80 is discontinued. It is replaced by the new SMART unit.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 5:40 PM   #10

Do you have an iPod? If so, you can use your iPod as an image bank.

Using an inexpensive Belkin adapter (I don't have the exact part # w/ me right now), you can connect your iPod directly to your camera and copy your photos. If you have a color/photo iPod you can view the copied photos on the iPod.

I have a 60gig iPod, but they come in a variety of sizes.

You can get used iPods cheap from www.podswap.com
-They are very reputable, all their iPods are quaranteed.

e
eR1c is offline   Reply With Quote