Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Nov 25, 2006, 8:54 AM   #11

Steve:

Thanks for your response. After reading it, I went back to Lowepro's site and looked closer at the Slingshot photos. I now realize that one accesses the camera in a top-loader fashion. How do you manage getting at the lenses though? It seems like you needto rotatethe bag up 90 degrees so that you can continue to unzip the flap without fear of them falling out. Do you have to hold the bag in this position or does it somehow stay pinned against your body? I'm curious if you have both hands free to change lenses or if you lose use of one because you have to hold the bag.

FYI, Adorama has a few 300 AW's in stock.

Regards,

Corey
CMotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 9:12 AM   #12

CMotel wrote:
Quote:
Steve:

Thanks for your response. After reading it, I went back to Lowepro's site and looked closer at the Slingshot photos. I now realize that one accesses the camera in a top-loader fashion. How do you manage getting at the lenses though? It seems like you needto rotatethe bag up 90 degrees so that you can continue to unzip the flap without fear of them falling out. Do you have to hold the bag in this position or does it somehow stay pinned against your body? I'm curious if you have both hands free to change lenses or if you lose use of one because you have to hold the bag.

FYI, Adorama has a few 300 AW's in stock.

Regards,

Corey
Corey,
First, thanks for the FYI. I am going to make the purchase and turn my 200AW over to my son.

Early Friday morning, I went on a Black Friday photo shoot. For me, the Slingshot works so naturally I don't seem to think about it. I believe I put my left foot forward and take advantage of using my left hip to help hold the bag in the access position. Since I have the lens I plan on using attached to the camera while it is in the bag, depending on how you pack the bag, you have room for one or two additional lenses (one on either side of the camera. The velcro adjustable partitions hold the lenses or anything else you put to the sides of the camera area from falling towards your body and ultimately on the ground/floor. Even the upper most compartment is facing upwards when the bag is swung to the front. Therefore, I have not lost any spare batteries. I also keep my Speedlite within its case in that compartment. I find it relatively easy to remove the case, take the light out, return the case to the bag and zip it up.
Best,
Steve
BrierS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 10:05 AM   #13

One more thing I like about the slingshot, its virtually impossible for thieves /pickpockets to get to the camera compartment.If I`m shooting in a dodgy area I move the bag to my front and rest my arm across the bag hiding the zips that open the camera compartment.The only compartment they can get to is the top one housing my speedlite, which I would rather lose than my D200 and D50

TD
tommysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 11:31 AM   #14

Thanks for the extra input. I plan on going out today to see if that store has any of them to look at.

I think I can be patient enough to wait until Christmas as I've got a few people asking what they can get me. Just want to make sure it's the one I want before I tell them.

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 4:22 AM   #15

Possibly laughable if it wasn't for my level of inexperience with various lenses and other equipment . . . I thought the 200AW was good and the extra room of the 300AW would be even better. I had ordered a Sigma 120-300mm EX for my Canon 30D. Armed with advice from forum members and having read the physical descriptions of the lens, I never gave any thought to, "would it fit in my existing 200AW" and figured by going with the 300AW it would be a perfect fit. I could not have been more wrong. If anyone is able to fit a lens of that size in either of those bags I would like to know their packing secret. :?:-)

The very sturdy case the lens comes with is about half the size of my 200AW. The lens would occupy about 300% of the area the 30D does. Oh well. Not a negative about the "Sling" but rather my poor planning.
Steve
BrierS is offline   Reply With Quote