Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Nov 14, 2006, 11:19 PM   #1

Really interested in this bag, gets lots of good recommendation.

Just one question, wonder about the strap on just one side as opposed to a two srap regular packpack. Does the one strap get uncomfortable? Maybe begginingto pull on the one side. Anyone worn it for a long time?

Any help appreciated.
fingersonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2006, 5:53 AM   #2

I have the SS200 and it feels quite comfortable. Because there's only one strap it is wider than normal and also the extra padding makes it comfortable. There is also an extra detachable small strap (that click right on the large strap) to secure the bag so that it doesn't move (eg. for cycling or running).
njangka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2006, 3:01 PM   #3

Tamrac invented the Slingshot, maybe you should look at them also.

I have neither bag.

Changeling

Changeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2006, 11:13 AM   #4

I bought a Lowepro SS-200 AW (allWeather) early this year and my son end up "stolen" from me after he tried it for a week, so I have to order another one and this time it will be mine :-) . I would recommended it.
Quanvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2006, 11:43 AM   #5

I have the slingshot 200, I have worn it for a long time and its comfortable,2 dslrs, flash gun,5 lenses.The full weather cover comes in handy.I would buy it again.

TD
tommysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 12:43 AM   #6

I also have the 200AW and like it very much. As stated above, the single strap is wide and comfortable. Looking similar to a backpack, only those recognizing the brand would know you are toting photography gear. It is my first of this type and I read a number of reviews before making the purchase. In addition, I have a couple of smaller bags including a tamrac. All serve their purpose yet the 200AW is much more versatile.
Steve
BrierS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 1:35 PM   #7

For what it's worth, a 300 is due out in a couple of weeks.

I'll probably be looking at it. With the current models however, I've heard a few stories of the strap stitching ripping out. Is anyone seeing signs of this?

Loaded down,is the 200 still comfortable?

While (looking at pictures) thecamera seems very easy to access, the compartments on either side appear partially blocked. Is it easy to get lenses in and out of them?

When spun around in front of you, how accessible is that top-moststorage area?

Regarding Tamrac, is there a sling type bag other than the Velocity? I've looked at it, and for my needs it would be awkward to get equipment in and out of.

Thanks.

Corey

CMotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 2:21 AM   #8

CMotel wrote:
Quote:
For what it's worth, a 300 is due out in a couple of weeks.

I'll probably be looking at it. With the current models however, I've heard a few stories of the strap stitching ripping out. Is anyone seeing signs of this?

Loaded down,is the 200 still comfortable?

While (looking at pictures) thecamera seems very easy to access, the compartments on either side appear partially blocked. Is it easy to get lenses in and out of them?

When spun around in front of you, how accessible is that top-moststorage area?

Regarding Tamrac, is there a sling type bag other than the Velocity? I've looked at it, and for my needs it would be awkward to get equipment in and out of.

Thanks.

Corey
Like most items we purchase, newer models typically come along. After reading your post, I checked a few sites offering the 300AW. Looks as if they have built another fine product with some additional room. Since Quanvu said his son borrowed than took his, I was thinking I would try the same with mine. Then I'll purchase the 300AW. :idea:

As to stitching, I haven't owned mine long enough to comment. It is fully loaded and very comfortable.

The access issue you questioned, when moved to your left frontal area, is a good one. I find it is almost like holding an infant above your left hip. You can access most every compartment though the primary compartment is where the camera is. That one is a cinch from that position. The top one, because that is where I store my speedlite (in its case) and extra batteries, is not one I have had to get quick access outdoors. I think it would depend on how you load your bag. I laid my equipment out, though about where it would fit and how I wanted to access it before setting the bag up.

Good luck with the 300AW ($20+/- more than the 200AW) and we'll probably both be commenting on it about the same time.
Steve
Old Nov 25, 2006, 2:21 AM   #9

Interesting. I have been looking in stores for the 100 or 200 to see it in person. Haven't found anyone who has it yet. One store told me they'd have one in this week. Will probably go tomorrow to see if they got them.

From looking at the measurements on line, it seems I should be fine with the 100. I only have one DLSR, an extra lens,spare batteries, cables and a few filters. Should that be fine for that? I will eventually add a flash, too. I want something compact for carrying my camera back and forth to work with me. And, if I go shopping afterwards, I want to be able to carry it rather than leaving it in the car. Especially now that the Christmas season is upon us.

I did see the Velocity in person and don't like it. I don't like how it would sit if I were to put it down somewhere and it just seems awkward to me. It also seemed awkward to carry.

Thanks.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 3:03 AM   #10

nhmom,
Having the 200AW and finding it is nearly full, I will most likely purchase the 300AW to gain a little more room. When I ordered the 200 I didn't anticipate some of the items I store. My diffusers take more room than I expected. The battery grip, though used occassionally, also claimed some room. I have already started to wonder what I'll have to leave out once I add the L series 100-400 . . . my son suggested using a second case yet if I get the 300 and give him my 200 then leave the Gary Fong's out unless I plan to be using them, my woes will be addressed. I would have thought after learning to properly pack suitcases I would be able to do a decent job with a camera bag.
Steve