Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Nov 17, 2006, 9:06 AM   #1

Hi,

I'm a newbie, but want an external flash and tripod.

Any suggestions for reasonable ones?

thx...
kc571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2006, 12:14 AM   #2

I advise against "the cheapest tripod you can find". It will be lightweight and flimsy.

I bought the cheapest tripod I could find, and it really feels top-heavy when I put my camera on it, and that makes me nervous about it tipping over and breaking the camera.

Then I bought the Sunpak 8001. About 35 to 40 dollars (add $15 for tripod case). It is a value to mid-priced brand. It feels fairly substantial and durable. The camera will still move a little when I press the shutter, especially at high zoom. Using the 2-second timer should eliminate that problem.

If you want the "best" tripod, like in the title of this thread, the heads will be sold separately, and you can easily spend US $200 or more for a "rig".

As for the flash you mentioned, I can't help you, sorry.

saturndude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 10:16 AM   #3

kc571 wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

I'm a newbie, but want an external flash and tripod.

Any suggestions for reasonable ones?

thx...
For what camera?
Old Jan 2, 2007, 7:39 PM   #4

I bought a canon AE 1 and the cheap tripod was knocked over at a wedding . I bought it with American express and they replaced the camera . [ 15 years ago ]
I then went to a camera store and bought a Bogen tripod and Mono pod . The farther a part the feet of tripod are , the more stable it is . A good tripod will have rubber feet as aposed to hard plastic ones that slide .
If cost is a concern , buy a mono pod first and szve up . Unless you do a lot os still shots , you will use a mono pod more anyway .
A tripod and Mono pod are one time purchases , so don't go cheap . You can find some good buy on ebay .
Roy Morales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2007, 12:15 AM   #5

BOGEN MANFROTTO...THE ONLY WAY TO GO
MINOLTANUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2007, 7:35 PM   #6

I don't know if it is the best or worst, but it does a great job for me. I bought the 29.00 job that comes with two heads from Wally World. So far no complaints. I don't know why you would spend more for one as I think the wallyworld tripod can do about what the expensive ones can do for a couple hundred bucks less.
tjcnok is offline   Reply With Quote