Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Nov 30, 2006, 11:56 AM   #1

Hey guys,

I'm interested in picking up a monopod for my H1. The Manfrotto monopod I'm thinking of lists the screw size as being 1/4-20". Will this fit on all the H series cameras? Are all tripod screws the same size?

I could simply take my H1 to the shop and test. But I'm asking in case I decide to just order online.

Thanks!

DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2006, 10:52 PM   #2

Dark, I'm gonna stick my neck out on this one- all consumer cameras and camcorders have the same size tripod mount hole. Now watch someone chime in with something off the wall:lol:

Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2006, 8:28 AM   #3

the 1/4-20 is the standard thread size for tripods and pretty much all consumer cameras and camcorders will have this size.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2006, 1:00 PM   #4

amazingthailand wrote:
Quote:
the 1/4-20 is the standard thread size for tripods and pretty much all consumer cameras and camcorders will have this size.
I see. But after reading Hawgwild's post I went to the Manfrotto website. Found out they offer tripods/monopods in both 1/4" and 3/8" plate screw sizes. There's one monopod that is a "dual". Seems the majority of Manfrotto tripods are using the 3/8" size. Velbon doesn't say.

Did find out on the Nikon Canada site that all Nikon DSLRs use the 1/4" mount size. Canon? I don't know yet. I'm assuming they also use the 1/4" size. Could some Canon owners chime on on this one?

As for me, I'm still trying to find out if my Sony DSC-H1 is using a 1/4" mount. The mouth of the tripod mount measures 1/4". So am I to assume it is a 1/4" mount? Or could it still turn out to be a 3/8"? Shrugs. And I am considering the upcoming Canon 40D. Which is why I'm interested to hear from Canon owners.

Later people. Have a good weekend!
Old Dec 1, 2006, 4:13 PM   #5

Your H-1 camera uses 1/4-20 thread on the tripod mount. So that is the size that you want to get. And yes, it is true that Manfrotto offers both 1/4 and 3/8" thread sizes.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2006, 4:48 PM   #6

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Your H-1 camera uses 1/4-20 thread on the tripod mount. So that is the size that you want to get. And yes, it is true that Manfrotto offers both 1/4 and 3/8" thread sizes.

MT/Sarah
Hello MT/Sarah,

Thanks for your information. Can I ask where you found this out? That the H1 does use a 1/4" thread? URL? Even the Sonystyle.ca site doesn't list this information. Nor would the "geniuses" at Sony tell me.

But, as I mentioned, I did measure the diameter of the trippod mount opening at the bottom of my H1. And it did measure 1/4". Just wanted to make sure.

Any how, I'm in no hurry. Not a big deal. In the end I'm more likely to be buying the monopod in-person so I'm likely to have my camera at hand.

Have a good weekend people!

Old Dec 2, 2006, 9:05 PM   #7

That the tripod bushing on a camera is a 1/4-20 thread is so standard that no one ever mentions it. The reviews will only mention the presence or absence of the bushing. It's one of the few common standards in the camera world so enjoy it!
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote