Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Apr 11, 2007, 3:53 PM   #1

I recently got a new Digital Rebel XTi that I'm enjoying a lot. I passed on the kit lens and instead bought the body only andtwo other lenses - a28-105 F3.5-4.5 zoom and a 70-300 F4-5.6 IS long zoom. So far I'm pretty happy with the long zoom but I've found a few cases where I'm wishing I could go wider. Factoring in the 1.6 multipler for my camera my wide lens gives me an effective focal length of about 45 mm, which isn't really that wide.

My first reaction was to look for a third lens, something like the 18-55mm kit lens you can get with that camera. However, while I was poking around B&H's and J&R's web sites I came across wide angle converters and was wondering how well they would work. For example I found a 0.5 converter that would be pretty cool. I could theoretically use that on my wide lens to go down to about 22mm without having to change lenses. A minor plus would be that it would also fit on my long zoom. So even though I doubt I'd have many occassions where that's necessary or desireable, at least the possibility is would be there.

I did some searching here and most of the threads wre related to using them on digicams rather than dSLRs. That made me wonder if there are reasons for not doing it on a dSLR.

So my question is - has anyone tried using a wide angle converter on one of their lenses or know anything about the advantages and disadvantages of them?

Thanks.

dave64o is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2007, 5:23 PM   #2

dave64o wrote:
Quote:
I did some searching here and most of the threads wre related to using them on digicams rather than dSLRs.* That made me wonder if there are reasons for not doing it on a dSLR.
That is because 99.9% of them are for fixed lens cameras, not SLR's.

Buy a wide angle lens, you will be happier you did. The Sigma 12-24 is an outstanding lens.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2007, 8:16 PM   #3

Most of the wide angle converters aren't all that great as well. Most have barrel distortion and purple fringing problems. In addition you may not be able to find one that fits over your lens properly thus having vignetting problems.

Have a look at the Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC as well. I've had excellent results with it.

Attached Images

Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011, 12:43 PM   #4

this is a no brainer. WAC are as cheap as chips, so buy try and move on if not good enough for you.
don.bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2011, 7:38 AM   #5

G'day Dave

You state...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave64o View Post
I recently got a new Digital Rebel XTi that I'm enjoying a lot. I passed on the kit lens and instead bought the body only and two other lenses - a28-105 F3.5-4.5 zoom and a 70-300 F4-5.6 IS long zoom.
If the time frame is not too long - maybe - just maybe the shop may swap the short lens for another???

However, as you say that you're happy with the long zoom, it would appear to me that the replacement short zoom 'should' go out to or close to 70mm ... no point not having lots of 'missing mms'

So a possible replacement would no doubt be a 17-50mm or a 17-70mm - possibly a Siggy but there are other mobs

BUT - it comes down to you & your style of image-making ... you may even want to forego the 30-70mm bit and go wild with a supa-wide of, say 10-20mm and to hell with the space in between !!

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote