Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old May 16, 2007, 1:15 PM   #1

Iveread the reviews in the review section on the battery operated portable CD-R/RW devices thatyou plug a memory card into and it records your pic files. Both of these devices, the Addonic MFR and the Disc Steno 200 have been discontinued.

1)Anyone have any experience with either of these?

2) These seem such a great idea-why have they failed?

3) Are there any other brands out there that do the same thing-record to disc instead of a drive?

Thank you in advance for your replies.
DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2007, 5:19 PM   #2

Just a guess but the price/storage capacity ratio has improved enough that the speed advantage of writing to an HD drive is preferred to the speed of burning a disk.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2007, 9:58 PM   #3

In talking to a friend of mine through work who takes pictures for the police he perferre a laptop over one of these burners any day. They tend to be battery hogs and are ultra ultra slow.

I would suggest a wolvine storage device if you have to have portable storage on the go. If the goal is to burn CDs on the go use your laptop. Although bigger you will get better results

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2007, 10:04 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies guys. Ill look into the wolvine(sp?) Im trying to get away from hauling a laptop around. I just thought itd be nice to stick a card in it and download 500MB in 10 mins. I can live with that speed. As far as the batterylife, supposedly theyre getting 1-2.5 hrs. with rechargeable batteries to boot. I have the nixvue, a portable HD, but always had trouble getting it to work. Maybe I need todust the web bunnies off of it and give it another try.
Old May 19, 2007, 10:58 AM   #5

Epson P-2000 (40gig) or P-4000 (80gig), accepts SD and CF cards, battery operated, large screen to review images inclusing RAW, plugs into PC for easy d/load afterwards back at home.

Crash
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007, 4:15 PM   #6

Thanks crash, Ill look into it.
Old May 19, 2007, 9:18 PM   #7

I have had a 20GB wolverine for 2.5 years now and when I need it, it always works for me. Download about 1GB in 11 minutes which I can live with myself

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 8:45 PM   #8

My husband bought me a "portable" cd/dvd burner a few years back....before small portable hard drives were affordable for us.

It's called a "RoadStore". Accepts (off the top of my head) 5 memory card types and can also be used to play back via the tv or to watch a dvd

burning is not the fastest but doesn't take all day either. it's about the size of one of those 7" screen portable dvd players. It runs on a rechargeable battery or electricity. Came with a small carry bag that holds the burner, cords, extra dvd/cds and still room for other stuff.

Performed well for me....Not sure if they're still around.
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote