Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Sep 5, 2007, 2:23 AM   #1

Hi All,

Is there a attachment that can be use with a digital (Sony F717) camera in order to put 35mm slides onto disk? Having over 2,100 slides and not wanting to lose them, getting them onto the computer seems the best way to keep them from being throw out. I could scan each one but 2,100 slide at about 10 meg per scan (I may be over doing something there) that's a lot of time and disk space. As for having them done, which would be the easiest way is a bit expense at .45 cent a slide. That's almost a $1,000.00 with tax and I much rather spend that money on a new DSLR as soon as I can make up my mind which one to buy.

Thanks,

Craig

Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2007, 10:46 PM   #2

I have scanned old slides and 35mm film on my scanner (for my parents)and got about 5meg files. On thing I do to cut down on time is to scan 4 at a time and then cut them apart in Adobe photoshop elements 5.0. I find in this manner it takes far less time than scanning each seperatley.

Luckily for me I have shot nothing but digital since 2001.

Good luck

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2007, 10:00 PM   #3

I have seen clip-on slide/negative holders available for quite a few camera models, bot on ebay, and at places such as Adorama and B&H Photo. You may be able to find them in the used departments as well, and KEH probably has them also.

I have considered it myself, for old negatives, but have instead opted for a scanner with film holder. Scanning at the resolution needed for negatives can be time consuming, but retains the quality of the film, and the light is consistent, which can be harder to achieve with the camera based duplicators. If I thought I would only ever view them on a computer monitor, then I probably would go that way to save time.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2007, 2:54 AM   #4

Thanks for the suggestions, I did find a slide copier that attaches to the camera. So I think that is the way I'm going to go as it faster than scanning.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 8:58 PM   #5

Calicjun,
Try taking a picture of the 35mm slide.Place slide on window sill where two windows meet and lock. Use macro or regular mode. Do in daylight w/o sun. I did many this way myself. Then got a Canon slide holder with backlight.

Both worked well. LOL.
picsgalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2007, 8:53 AM   #6

Maybe work on them as a project and break up the work. WhenI have a lot of pics to edit I will do them in sections and some each day instead of trying to have long sit down marathons. Where did you find the camera attachment? I stil use my f717 a grat deal when I don't want to get the DSLR out. The Sony has been a great camera.

Good luck!

Trique Daddi

Trique Daddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2007, 8:44 AM   #7

Calicajun,

Here's a web site for device to convert slides to digital. Just saw it in today's paper.
http://www.hammacher.com/publish/74083.asp?promo=slide
Old Nov 26, 2007, 9:44 PM   #8

picsgalore wrote:
Quote:
Calicajun,

Here's a web site for device to convert slides to digital. Just saw it in today's paper.
http://www.hammacher.com/publish/74083.asp?promo=slide
Good thing I'm a bit slow on buying new stuff as I like that product in the link you posted. It does both slide and negs and I do have a bunch of negs that need saving too.

Thanks for the link, I'll put that on my Christmas list.

Craig
Old Nov 28, 2007, 12:08 AM   #9

Calicajun,

You are welcome. Post later with your results if you get you Christmas wish.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 1:22 AM   #10

how about you? do you have your christmas wish?
weing12 is offline   Reply With Quote