Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Sep 10, 2007, 3:54 PM   #1

As some of you will know I am upgrading from a 350D to a 40D, a jump from 8mp to 10.2mp

I have been advised to get the new terabyte external harddrive to stop my PC running slow, do I really need this orshould I get a cheaper alternative?

PC Spec

OS

Windows XP pro

Harddrives

E Drive 152gb space

C Drive 135gb free space In total I have 2X160gb harddrives

Memory

2X512mb memory

Processor

Pentium 4

Mother Board

MSI

Graphics Card

Do not use one
Mr Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2007, 4:50 PM   #2

Mr Shift wrote:
Quote:
As some of you will know I am upgrading from a 350D to a 40D, a jump from 8mp to 10.2mp

I have been advised to get the new terabyte external harddrive to stop my PC running slow ...
WHAT?!?!?

Another hard disk won't speed up your computer. If you've got lots of files on your existing hard disk drive, moving them to an external drive won't speed things up; in fact, because of the slow speed of the USB interface (when compared to the SATA interface), it will likely slow things down.

Two to six megabyte files (the size of jpeg images from your 350D?) don't slow down a computer; two to six kilobyte files slow down a computer.

If your computer is running slow, in Internet Explorer, select Tools:Internet Options, click on the 'Advanced' tab, scroll to the bottom of the list, place a check next to "Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed", and click 'OK'.

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2007, 4:48 AM   #3

Thanks. The recomendation was actually about gettingmorestorage for my 40D files, and somehow I have got mixed up. I will be shooting Raw & high quality Jpeg with my 40D. What will the max file size be that the 40D will take?
Mr Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2007, 7:12 AM   #4

Mr Shift wrote:
Quote:
...I will be shooting Raw & high quality Jpeg with my 40D. What will the max file size be that the 40D will take?
I can't find the manual for the 40D on-line, but let's presume that RAW+JPEG Large image fileswill be about 20MB total.

You have 2 hard disk drives, one with 152GB free space, the other with 135GB, for a total of 287GB, or 293,888MB (1GB = 1024MB). Divide that by 20MB per image, and you currently have enough space for 14,694 images.

I think you're OK for a while.

Perhaps the person that recommended that you get more storage for your 40D files, wasn't aware of how much free space you already have.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 10:37 AM   #5

For my file storage I have a raided terabyte NAS, it is very slow but is used for safety, not for working files. (I also have everything dumped to DVD for off-line storage)

It is also mountable by any workstation on my local network.

My main workstation is a dualcore AMD 64 X2 with 3gb ram 60gb C: (with the windows swap file on it ) and 300gb D: (with the Photoshop swap file on it)

I have no troubles editing 12mp files or opening 8 of them simultaneous. Even my 64mp panorama files (about 450meg .psd) are getting slowish but not too bad.

I think from your system description your biggest area to improve speed is to up the RAM, 1gb is a tad tight for photoshop. The system is probably going out and using the allocated swap files which really slows it down.

The other thing to do is to make sure your windows and photoshop swap files are not on the same disk.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2007, 12:29 PM   #6

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
My main workstation is a dualcore AMD 64 X2 with 3gb ram 60gb C: (with the windows swap file on it ) and 300gb D: (with the Photoshop swap file on it)
Very nice setup, but your 300GB drive is probably faster than your 60GB drive, so moving your Windows Swap file over to the 300GB will probably speed things up even further. If your system isn't really stable, this can get you into trouble, but you can avoid that by setting up your 300GB drive as the first swap drive with a paging file size greater than recommended, and nothing on the 60GB, restart, and then add a swap file of the recommended size on the 60GB drive. That way, if something goes wrong with the 300GB, the OS will still have a swap file to work with.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 1:44 PM   #7

Trying to avoid monkeying with the current setup, as it is stable.

However I do have my eye on the new quadcores hopeing the price drops to a comfortable level.
Then it's time to build a new machine!:!:
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2007, 2:50 PM   #8

I agree with PeterP that 1gb of RAM is lean. My latest PC came with 2gb and PSE 5.0 can take up 1.5gb very easily. RAM is cheap so stuff in as much as the machine will hold and XP or Vista can use.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2007, 4:47 PM   #9
Administrator

Use Linux (my suggestion is SimplyMEPIS 7.0 Beta 4, which should go final later this month). It's 32 bit version is SMP (Symmetric multiprocessing) capable, and they also offer a 64 bit version for even better performance with newer processors.

http://www.mepis.org

It's free for personal use. ;-) It also has a super Image Management system with the included digiKam (also free):

http://www.digikam.org/?q=about/features09x

If you want super fast raw conversion, go Bibble. It's about as fast as it gets for raw conversion (using multiple threads on the right operating system) and the workflow is really sweet. Eric Hyman (the founder of Bibble Labs) has Windows, Mac and Linux versions available:

http://www.bibblelabs.com/

I would make sure you have around 1GB of RAM for best performance with larger raw files though. My wife's laptop running SimplyMEPIS 6.04 (an old 300mhz PII Mobile with 256MB of RAM that I paid $112 for over 2 years ago) is a bit slow doing raw conversion while watching Flash 9 content under Firefox 2.0.x at the same time. :-)

I suppose that's because the operating system is such a memory hog (taking around 69MB without loading much except for Weather applets, software update notification programs, virus protection (to keep from forwarding any viruses to Windows users), firewall, HP Printer tools and drivers, wireless drivers and tools, etc.).

I've been thinking about switching her to a lighter version of the Operating System. For example, SimplyMEPIS Anti-X runs in less than 40MB of RAM on it. But, she really likes all of the "bells, whistles and buzzers" associiated with the larger version, despite a "huge" footprint taking up around 69MB of RAM.. ;-) She uses Firefox, Open Office, Bible study programs, and of course, Solitaire games for the most part. So, she doesn't really need a high powered laptop.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2007, 11:09 AM   #10

I am a high volume shooter and I use a netgear storage device and wireless router with 2x 500GB seagate 7200rpm hard drives installed. The first hard drive is all pictures and the second drive is used for backup on my computer and future phto storage. I also store my images on CDs and DVDs. I make one folder per CD/DVD on the 500GB that matches the exact contents on the disc. I currently have 120 discs at close to 320GB. I find the netgear runs really fast when contected to my lptop via cat 5 cable. Runs semi fast when using the wireless card in my durabook laptop. I don't like to use internal drives to storeg my photos in case of a virus... A year ago I lost 5 GB of photos (as I was trying to burn them to DVDs)that way and said never again.

Also as far as peeding up your laptop try defragmenting the laptop and do it once a week. I find that speeds my laptop up alot.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote