Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Jan 17, 2008, 9:21 PM   #1

I realize this is the most subjective of all topics, but with so many to choose from, looking for a recommendation for another bag. I already have a few Lowepro's - the Nova 3 AW - this is what I keep my gear in but it's too bulky to take anywhere; then I have the Nova 1 AW (great for camera+1 lens but not much else).

I'd like to be able to carry the following:
  • Canon Rebel XT, usually with my Sigma 17-70 as the walk-around lens[/*]
  • Canon 85mm f1.8 lens[/*]
  • Sigma 70-300 f4-5.6 apo zoom
    [/*]
  • Flash - Canon speedlite 430[/*]
  • a couple of lens hoods, usually on the lens (reversed while in bag)
    [/*]
Most of the time, I can leave one of those 4 home (either the flash or one of the lenses, depending upon what I'm shooting) but ideally, I'd like the case to be able to hold them all.

I prefer a shoulder bag to a backback for ease in access but am willing to be convinced otherwise. Also, I'd prefer something not overly bulky (i.e. that doesn't stick out too far from my body when walking) - no more bulky than the AW1.

Like any luggage, I'd like it to be really big on the inside (i.e. hold a lot) but seem really small on the outside (easy to carry, unobtrusive):-) . Unfortunately, physics doesn't make that really possible.:sad:

Any recommendations on bags to look at?

Thanks!

graubart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2008, 9:43 PM   #2

The NOVA AW1 is my bag of choice. Fits in my vehicle at work with a lot of other stuff I got to carry and its small enough when I travel it can be close to the body and not get grabbed or stolen. Also great to meet the carryon standards for the small bag so I can take this and a suitecase on an airplane.

I carry:

Fuji S-9100

large hardshell memory card case (sandisc that holds 4CF cards/xD cards

Sunpack superauto 383 hotshoe flash

Circular Pl filter

5 extra sets of AAs

small cloth to clean lens

small memo book for notes

3 pens

ID badge, 12and business cards

When I travel I also carry a wolverine flashpack device as well.

I find the other lowpro shoulder bags to be too bulky for me and the AWQ series is most waterproof, has great padding and takes the abuse it is put through without looking like it.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2008, 6:04 AM   #3

Photo 5 wrote:
Quote:
The NOVA AW1 is my bag of choice. Fits in my vehicle at work with a lot of other stuff I got to carry and its small enough when I travel it can be close to the body and not get grabbed or stolen. Also great to meet the carryon standards for the small bag so I can take this and a suitecase on an airplane.

I find the other lowpro shoulder bags to be too bulky for me and the AWQ series is most waterproof, has great padding and takes the abuse it is put through without looking like it.

dave
Thanks - I like the 1AW myself - as I mention in the email, that's my everyday carry bag but it only holds the camera w/lens and one additional lens (plus the small accessories). Am trying to find a bag that will hold the camera with lens, 2 additional lenses and the flash. the 1AW can hold the camera w/lens and either a flash or a second lens, but is too small for much more.

Anyone have any experience with Tamrac Adventure Messenger bags? Downside is they don't seem to be as well made/padded as the Lowepros, but I like the dimensions (i.e. the Messenger 4 is only 5 3/4" deep where my Nova 3 AW is more than 8" deep). Also, the Messenger 4 is probably wider than I'd like (13") but I'm not sure the Messenger 3 will hold what I spec above.

Any input is appreciated!
graubart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2008, 9:35 AM   #4

I;m looking for something that is a bit roomier as well. Has anyone had any experience (using or viewing in store) with the new Tamrac Adventure 10 backpack?

I can't view it here unless I order it and then I have to buy it. No one has it in stock yet.

I'd like to know how much room there is in the top compartment (I usually carry my jacket, book, binos and birding book in my backpack with my camera gear in the bottom).
Also, how comfortable is the waist strap for long hikes?

Thanks,
Dano
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote