Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Sep 12, 2003, 1:20 PM   #1

Default Extended warranties

It's been almost a year since this one was asked and I'm about to buy a camera so I'm interested in any new info.

Has anyone purchased an extended warranty with a camera and had to use it? How was the service? I'm looking at MACK in particular. Any experience with them in particular? Any other names to recommend?

--Chris Throop
txthroop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2003, 11:05 PM   #2

No experience on the extended warranty, but I recently returned an item at Circuit City and will share that one experience. After bringing the camera back store clerk asked if I wanted to get something right there, and I said no. I got my money back, and
later bought a more expensive camera from the same store.
All the best.
-David.
David G.R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2003, 6:10 PM   #3

Default credit card warranty

Before I bought my camera, I checked with the companies that issued a some of my credit cards.

Many of my cards automatically double the manufacturers warranty, I think for a year max. At no charge.

You should make the call before you buy.

mh
markeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2003, 6:53 PM   #4

^^^^^ Hmmmz interesting
UniSonBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2003, 8:09 PM   #5

Olympus offers a two year warranty beyond their normal one year warranty. The cost is $89. I am skeptical about 3rd party warranties. I usual decline all extended warranty. I would only consider a warranty issued by manufactor.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2003, 10:44 AM   #6

Default Re: Extended warranties

Quote:
Originally Posted by txthroop
It's been almost a year since this one was asked and I'm about to buy a camera so I'm interested in any new info.

Has anyone purchased an extended warranty with a camera and had to use it? How was the service? I'm looking at MACK in particular. Any experience with them in particular? Any other names to recommend?

--Chris Throop
I declined the extended warranty at first but got a bunch of free stuff/upgrades thrown in. It ended up about $100 which is fairly low for a camera around $1000. Its a good idea to check reselleratings first before making any purchase.

Eric
ewitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2003, 11:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonpd3620
Olympus offers a two year warranty beyond their normal one year warranty. The cost is $89. I am skeptical about 3rd party warranties. I usual decline all extended warranty. I would only consider a warranty issued by manufactor.
Ditto here.

Just to add, the Oly warranty includes a checkup/cleaning (which is worth the cost of the warranty).
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2004, 3:16 AM   #8

I just bought a Fuji S5000 at Ritz Camera. The salesman brought up the extended warentee they offer, but he didn't push it on me like they seem to always do at Best Buy & Circuit City.

According to him they'll cover you even if you drop the camera, or it busts do to water damage. I dunno how truthful he was being, but that sounds like a pretty good deal.
quebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2004, 3:43 AM   #9

Many store warranties promise the universe, but don't deliver mud when it comes to making a claim!
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2004, 2:52 PM   #10

Over in the U K various stores try to sell extended warranties, whichI would now never buy.Six or soyears agoI had an extended five year warranty on a Panasoinc camcorder which was never needed. The store had an offer at the time that the warranty cost would be refunded after five years if no claim was made. I carefully looked after the warranty for five years and followed carefully the claims procedure and eventually received a full refund cheque earlier this year. I must admit this was a very pleasant surprise as I fully expected somewhere along the line someone would try to wriggle out of paying up. NeverthelessI cannot think of anything electronic which I have purchased that has failed after a year, soI may have been very lucky, but it seemsmodern electronics are so reliable that extended warranties are a waste of money.:-)
geoff.rio is offline   Reply With Quote