Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Aug 24, 2008, 2:13 PM   #1

Is anyone familar enough with this bag to tell me if it will fit comfortably under the seat for air travel? Want to make sure it will qualify as my personal item for carry on. What about the bottom of the bag, does it have any extra protection from moisture? Thanks.
madpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2008, 11:40 PM   #2

Never seen or used the bag but if you can give me demensionsI can tell you if it will pass.

I have taken both the Lowepro Nova 1AW (1996 and 1997) and Lowepro Nova 3AW (1998) on Delta flights with no issues. Usually they will let you take a small - medium size camera bag (shoulder type), briefcase, camcorder bag or purse as your personal carry-on.

I'll check and see if I can get the specs and get back to you.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2008, 12:16 AM   #3

Heres the offical info I got from delta and its also the same for American airlines. If you read it, its not very clear if a back pack will pass or not.

Sorry about the font and color I copied this directly from the web to post here,

Carry-on Baggage
All Delta passengers are allowed one carry-on bag, one checked bag, and one personal item. Excess charges apply for excess, oversize, or overweight items.

How large can your carry-on bag be?
  • Must weigh less than 40 pounds (18 kg) [/*]
  • Can't exceed 45 inches (length + width + height) [/*]
  • Must fit easily in our SizeWise┬« unit (approximately 22"x14"x9") [/*]
  • Must fit in an overhead bin or underneath the seat in front of you
[/*]
What counts as a personal item?
  • Purses, briefcases, camera cases, and diaper bags [/*]
  • Laptop computers (can't be checked and must be carried on) [/*]
  • Items of a similar or smaller size to those above
[/*]
What else can you bring onboard?
  • Food items for immediate consumption [/*]
  • Assistive devices such as wheelchairs or crutches [/*]
  • One box or bag of duty free merchandise [/*]
  • A coat, jacket, or umbrella [/*]
Old Aug 30, 2008, 1:06 AM   #4

I don't have this bag, but did have my Lowepro AW100 sling bag under the seat last summer with plenty of room. Might want to make sure it is moisture proof all around. The little girl in front of me spilled an entire water bottle on my camera bag during the flight. Didn't realize it until we landed. I didn't have the waterproof cover over it, but it managed to not get into my camera.

I'm flying Delta in October. Was planning on bringing my rolling laptop case that I would allow them to check at the plane, so I could have it between flights for moving things between planes. And, bringing my backpack to carry the laptop in on the plane with me. And, then one suitcase to check at the ticket counter. Do you think I might be pushing it?

The rolling laptop bag is 16 x 12 x 13 1/2. It's supposed to be carry-on size according to the box. The backpack is 18 x 15 x 9. I know the rolling bag won't fit in the overhead compartment on the smaller plane I'll be on part of the flight. And, don't want my laptop in the baggage compartment.

Thanks for any advice. I'm struggling with deciding how to do this and make it manageable for me to carry my stuff on the two layovers I have.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 11:14 PM   #5

DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT check your laptop bag/laptop under the plane. If the laptop gets checked your asking for damage to the laptop. Carry it on the plane at all cost.

I am not sure how much stuff you have to carry or for how long your gonna be away. As a rule of thumb for my own travels I ALWAYS carry everything on the plane. I have a suitecase that is airline carry-on compliant and a camera bag that I put under the seat...... Just my own personal self but even when I was away for 5 days I didn't have a space problem.

You need to be very carful in your though process if you leat Delta check your back crubside/gate side at the plane you will probabbly not see it again until you get to the final destination. So if you want acess to your stuff in between flights on a layover you better not have the bag checked. The only exception to this is if you fly a small commutor/connector type flight plane and then they usually will allow you to check in your bag at plane side and they give you back all the lugage at plane side. But if your flying an MD-88 or larger that normally does not happen.

If ytou have to have a lot of clothes etc then I would check on bag with stuff you don't need except at eoither end of the flight and then cary on a small duffle etc with what you need for the layover and a bag for camera/laptop. DO NOT CHECK the laptop in and let it go under the plane as they is certain to cause undo hardship and damage on the laptop. ALWAYS carry the laptop on.

I hope this helps

dave
Old Sep 7, 2008, 9:33 AM   #6

Thanks for the info, Dave. Yep, I had no intentions of letting the laptop go under the plane. Just trying to figure out how I could still have my wheelie laptop case for in the airport. I thin kI may have it figured out, though by rearranging what I pack where.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2008, 11:35 AM   #7

I have the Adventure 7, it fits well under the seat on most jets.
The top or the buttom might be sticking out towards you a bit (depends on which way you put it in), with there are room left on the side cause the bag is thin.

As for moisture, if you are talking about waterproof, I remember reading a Taiwanese review of the bag, they took the bag on a road trip on motorcycle. They once riding under heavy rain on freeway and after they arrive, they discovered nothing inside got wet.

Anyway, I put like 4 or 5 little packs of those moisture-absorbing pillets inside the camera section just to be safe.

misbehave is offline   Reply With Quote