Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Sep 20, 2008, 3:42 PM   #1

I'mgoing to purchasemy first DSLR in the next few days and I'm looking for camera bag suggestions. I'll likely buy a Canon XSi or a Nikon D80. In either case, at least for the time being, I'd only be carrying the camera with the 18-55 mm kit lens attached. No extra lenses or accessories.

It seems to me that most bags on the market are either too big or too small. I travel semi-frequently and I'd rather not have to carry my DSLR around in a camcorder bag stuffed with socks to take up the extra room. Walking or riding a motorcycle inthe Caribbean is semi-awkward with a huge camera bag over my shoulder.

I'd like a bag that will fit the camera with the lens attached (I don't want to be romoving and re-attaching it every time I want to take a photo).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Boldstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2008, 11:53 AM   #2

Lowepro is a well respected name in the camera bag world http://www.lowepro.com/ and have a style for every taste.

Be careful with the size and allow for expansion room otherwise you will outgrow it and end up with a collection of undersized camera bags! If you can take your equipment to a local dealer and verify you have the right bag.

Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2008, 12:47 PM   #3

Bob Nichol wrote:
Quote:
Lowepro is a well respected name in the camera bag world http://www.lowepro.com/ and have a style for every taste.
I have a few Lowepro bags already... and I've looked at more of them in stores. I'm still having the same problem. They're either too big or too small.

I understand the need to have room to grow, but I'd really like to find a bag fitting the description I mentioned: Just big enough to carry the camera and kit lens (so it's not a pain in the a$$ to carry when travelling by foot, motorbike, etc.).
Old Sep 24, 2008, 1:17 AM   #4
JLB

Look at the Domke F6. This may be bigger than you need now but is a soft bag and very easy to carry. You will need the extra room for your next lens and it doesnt seem like a big awkward bag. I use mine almost every time I go out and leave the multitude of other less satisfactory bags home.
John
JLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2008, 7:22 AM   #5

I use a small Lowepro fanny pack. It would work well when on a bike or scooter.
Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2008, 1:11 PM   #6

JLB wrote:
Quote:
Look at the Domke F6. This may be bigger than you need now but is a soft bag and very easy to carry.
Thanks for the suggestion. Although it's difficult to tell what the bag is really like online, and I can't find it in any of the stores near where I live.

I ended up buying an Optex bag this morning. It's a little more bulky than I'd like, but it's protective and it holds the camera with lens attached, battery charger, filters and cases, memory cards, etc. Less than ideal for wearing over the shoulder walking or motorbiking in the Caribbean, but it'll make a good travel and storage case.

I'd still like to find something smaller, very basic and soft, for day trips, etc.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 1:16 PM   #7

surfnron wrote:
Quote:
I use a small Lowepro fanny pack. It would work well when on a bike or scooter.
Thanks Ron. But do you have a model number or a link to share?
Old Sep 24, 2008, 8:55 PM   #8

I think it's this one:

http://products.lowepro.com/product/...ner,1991,7.htm

Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote