Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Dec 27, 2008, 11:23 AM   #1

I'm vaguely considering a "multimedia photo viewer" as a backup for my memory cards and as a way to chimp without sapping away the power from my DSLR's battery. I'm considering the Epson P series (5000 or 7000 models) or the Digital Foci 160GB version. Has any one compared the two? Are the Epson's significantly better? They are double the cost for a 160GB model.

The Epson's have 4" screens and can display 94% of the colors in the sRGB color space. The Digital Foci are 3.6". Not sure how much of the sRGB color space it supports...I do know for the 160GB Digital Foci model I would have to download a file to support my D300's RAW files. Not so for the Epson P-7000.

I think JOBO has one. And a few other companies. Any recommendations/comments are welcome.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2008, 4:30 PM   #2

A number of people, here and elsewhere,have had some nice things to say about Wolverine products. See http://www.wolverinedata.com/index.php
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2008, 5:01 PM   #3

TCav wrote:
Quote:
A number of people, here and elsewhere,*have had some nice things to say about Wolverine products. See http://www.wolverinedata.com/index.php
Thanks for the recommendation TCav. I noticed the Wolverines in the Adorama catalogue I just got. Though, the only trade-off I can see is the lower screen resolution compared to the pricey Epson's. A plus of the Wolverines is that you can get a 250GB version for $450.00. Still almost 50% less than the Epson P-7000 at almost $800.00.

I suppose I would have to decide if having the higher resolution for chimping is worth the premium for the Epson's. Besides, I'm just vaguely entertaining the idea of getting a multimedia storage device. And take my chances that I've uploaded my pics onto my MBP before any of my CF cards fail.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 5:42 PM   #4

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
... Besides, I'm just vaguely entertaining the idea of getting a multimedia storage device. And take my chances that I've uploaded my pics onto my MBP before any of my CF cards fail.
Off the top of my head, I'd say that any multimedia storage device is more likely to fail than any CF card. But if you need to use the same CF card over and over again, then the multimedia storage device is cheaper than a laptop.

But the laptop will have a bigger screen.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 8:49 PM   #5

TCav wrote:
Quote:
DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
... Besides, I'm just vaguely entertaining the idea of getting a multimedia storage device. And take my chances that I've uploaded my pics onto my MBP before any of my CF cards fail.
Off the top of my head, I'd say that any multimedia storage device is more likely to fail than any CF card. But if you need to use the same CF card over and over again, then the multimedia storage device is cheaper than a laptop.

But the laptop will have a bigger screen.
I usually carry a few extra 8GB or 16GB CF cards. So no it wouldn't be because I pan to use a card over and over. Heh maybe I should forget about these "multimedia viewers". I'm guessing you don't own one?
Old Dec 27, 2008, 9:44 PM   #6

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
... I'm guessing you don't own one?
No, but I don't often travel very far from home either, and when I do I bring a laptop anyway, as does my wife.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 11:22 PM   #7

TCav wrote:
Quote:
DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
... I'm guessing you don't own one?
No, but I don't often travel very far from home either, and when I do I bring a laptop anyway, as does my wife.
I see. My next trip will likely be to India (yah I heard...what are the chances of the terrorists making it an annual event..heh). Besides I have a Canadian passport. If not India then some where in Africa (e.g. Kenya, Tunisia...etc.). Will definitely have my Apple MBP with me.

On the other hand I wouldn't be carrying my MBP every where I go. Would be left in the hotel room. And I might start shooting in 6 fps mode more. Currently I shoot mostly in single-frame. So perhaps I might need a "multimedia viewer" after all. Guess it would be the Epson.

The 250GB Wolverine for $420 (read the user reviews... http://www.amazon.com/Wolverine-ESP-...0448189&sr=8-4). Not good. The Epson P-7000 is $771.99 USD (or $942.75 Cdn...but, can be had for cheaper if bought in Canada @ $799.95 Cdn$), double the resolution but at only 160GB of storage space...Hmmmm....