Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Jan 8, 2009, 10:16 AM   #11
NHL

Oops sorry about that as I didn't see the data cable in the Nikon link... :angry:
http://www.digitalreview.ca/content/...ccessory.shtml

Regardless though I would still go for an N2 or similar devices from other manufacturers - why?
1. The optional release cable is included with the N2
2. As you can see from the above link the GP-1 do not support heading whereas the N2 does
3. I didn't see any internal recheargeable battery in the GP-1 either
-> a) This device will share the number of shots with you cameras and b) when you use the auto-meter off function doesn't the GP-1 has to re-acquire the GPS from a cold start taking it longer before you can shoot?

... based from other forum threads I would get the N2 just for its recheargeable battery which provide an "instant on" whenever the shutter is 1/2 pressed and also retain the GPS info when the signal is lost (i.e. walk indoor) AND do not draw any current from the camera battery:
"The GPS menu on the D90 offers two selections: "Auto meter off" and "Position". It is recommended to set "Auto meter off" to OFF, since the Nikon GP-1 draws its power from the camera."
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2009, 11:23 AM   #12

The only draw back I see with the GP-1 is that it draws it's power from the camera. So less shots per charge. Will have to get into the habit of carrying a fully charged extra battery. Never did that before.

And this is Nikon's first effort. There should be a GP-2 coming. That one should offer an internal battery and maybe more positioning data (e.g. temperature, heading...etc.).

Also I got the GP-1 for only $199.99 (ordered last night from Robert's). That's $50.00 less than the N2.

I'll play around with the GP-1 for a while of course. Maybe later I'll pickup a N2 as well to compare. The GP-1 will be my first GPS unit used with my D300. Should be interesting.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2009, 5:07 PM   #13
NHL

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
Also I got the GP-1 for only $199.99 (ordered last night from Robert's). That's $50.00 less than the N2.
The N2 has more features - The devices that really compete with the GP-1 are the N1+ or N90 which have their own internal battery and remote controller for $25 less than the GP-1 (the MC-DC2is extra cost too on the Nikon):
http://www.solmeta.com/en/products_detail.asp?id=1

"N1+ has the best power supply solution up to now, it has a built-in independent internal battery which can work on its own and won't drain up your camera's battery. To compare with those without internal independent battery, N1+'s biggest advantage is it doesn't need minutes of refix time between turning off and turning on the camera."
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2009, 4:28 PM   #14

I just got my Nikon GP-1 in the mail today. Don't know why but I was expecting more. I had that "order a toy from the back of a cereal box" type of "wa WA WAAAA" feeling. Like you had been ripped off. How Nikon can charge us $200-240 for the GP-1??? Sheeesh!!

These devices should be selling for around $50.00 IMHO.

Now lets see how long mine lasts...heh!! Having said that I am glad to have it. Eager to use it on my future travels. Or when shooting around the city.

Later all.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2009, 2:45 PM   #15

Has anyone tried the "Foolography Unleashed" gps yet? Where can we buy one? Foolography site seems to be very slow in answering their emails.
ajfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote