Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Feb 15, 2009, 8:24 PM   #11

Thanks for your reply the issues with the holes is if you removed discs and they rub up against the spindle in the middle many times. Your system s a great one fordiscs you do not plan toi use that much (i.e. archives). In my business I use many if my discs several times a week. I am also a high volume shooter as well.

Over the years I used to shoot to CDs and now I use DVDs and some DL DVDs for very large events. I am planning at some point (not holding my breath) when the price does comne down on the blue ray disc burns tro move to that medium and maybe even reburn a lot of my discs to blue ray and free up space that way.

For the discs I no longer use on a rgular basis you spindle idea might just be the answer, but for the ones used all the time I am still looking.

My filing system is am MS Word document listing the title of each disc in 14point bold type and then the contents (i.e. subjects/folders) in plain 10 point text below the the title in 2 columns. I find that works for me and when I am looking for something specific I can use the search and find feature. Also I keep my discs filled alaphebetic under several subject matters..... Each subject matter at this time is in a seperate drawer or area (shelf). Stuff goes into one of 6 catagories County, Local., Schools, Fire-Rescue Calls, Fire-Rescue Misc and everything else. The everything else catagory is the smallest of the batch so far.

I just burned my 300th disc today.

Thanks again for your time and interest in helping me out. What I may end up doing is building a cabinet type drawer on slides under my bed and outting slots in it for multi rows of DVD discs. Then when I need something I just slide the drawer out and pull out the disc....... Its just that I am not handy with power tools.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2009, 10:32 PM   #12

Good Luck Dave. Woodworking is a science unto its own. I worked with wood for about sixty years, starting with a canvas-covered canoe when I was in high school, and ending up with lathe-turned wooden bowls featuing inlaid rings of turquoise-glue matrix. I really loved that work. All my tools were either second hand or self-made, but I could make almost anything wood is used for. The greatest joy came from completing a unique work in unusual wood with a mirror finish. I quit when we moved to Kansas City becausethere is no place here for me to work. (Woodworking almost always creates a lot of dust, and wives intensely dislike that element.) Also, I have become rather awkward, and that leads to danger when operating rotating tools.

As you determine what it is you want I suggest you consult a woodworker friend. He can probably help you build what you want, and it is likely he will be happy to work with you. I found that most woodworkers are looking for interesting projects and are generally quite giving of their time and ideas.

Old Engineer
Old Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2009, 10:49 AM   #13

One of the things I use at work is a metal cabinet that looks like a lateral file cabinet, but the drawers are smaller. It's designed for media and it has rails you can put in at adjustable points, so you can have 4 (or more) rows in each drawer. It also means that you can mix media types (I have floppies and various different types of CD cases). I can't tell you what it's capacity is since I have such a variety of cases, but I know that I have over 100 DVDs in mostly full sized jewel cases that take up less than half of one drawer. I don't remember who makes it, it's not pretty (looks like an office lateral file cabinet) but it's got excellent capacity, and you can get two and stack them (the one I have is about 3 feet high, I would guess, on it's base). It would definitely NOT fit under a bed though.

I haven't solved my DVD storage at home as easily though. I've thought about getting some of those book-like things that I've seen at Office Depot/Office Max. There are ones that hold over 90 DVDs, and I've thought about using them and using a regular bookcase. The holders aren't paper, they are fabric and I've wondered if they would be gentler to the disks. I do have a bunch of back-up disks on a spindle, but I agree that it's a lousy solution for accessibility (always having to remove a bunch to get to the one disk you want).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2009, 9:49 PM   #14

mtngal,

I bought one of the fabric containers that probably is the brand you are thinking of. I have no complaint about the practicality of them, but in my case, approaching two thousand disks, the expense begins to become a prohibiting factor. They should be fine for small numbers of disks. You can store them flat-stacked or on any edge to suit your space. Two drawbacks-- after long periods of storage the disks tend to stick in the slots provided, and it is difficult to insert or remove the disks without getting your fingers on the recording surfaces. On the whole, tough, for moderate numbers of disks, they should be fine. Another attribute is that the titled face of the disk can be read completely, the individualcover being translucent, and this lets you identify the specifics of the disk at a glance, of course, only if you marked the disk in advance of storing it. I mark all my movie disks with the disk number, the title, the main player, the year made, the rating, the running time, and the movie type, i.e. war, comedy, romance, etc. I keep a spreadsheet listing all my movies, and the same identifiersare listed in columns. I can sort to each column. So if I want to see what war movies I have I can sort them out, or if I want to look at Jean Harlow tonight I canlist all my movies in which she starred, then select the one I want. Without some reasoned tabulating systems collections would be difficult to use.

Old Engineer
Old Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2010, 12:16 AM   #15

My problem has been resolved finally. I'd like to report back in case this helps anyone else.

I had a local carpenter that builds cabinets and some furniture (as well as build book case for new houses and rehabs) build me a 5 drawer chest of drawers (like you'd put clothes in) with the drawers been the right depth to hold my DVDs in thin paper sleeves or slim line cases. The drawers have slots that allow me to store 4 rows wide in each drawer. The drawers are 16" deep built on good duty cabinet slides on both sides and middle slide for each strength when fully loaded. The unit was also built on heavy duty casters. The unit was finished with a clear coat water proof sealer. It ended up costing me $500 total (quoted as $200 parts, $300 labor) but using thin sleeves its gonna last for a very very long time and the drawers have dividers in them to keep the 4 rows of discs straight etc (thin rail like dividers).

I also had them put handles on the drawers like that are found on the 4 drawer valutz units where I can drop in labels as to what contents is in each drawer. I have my discs subdivided into 4 categories at this time with the bottom most drawer 100% empty.

Looks like I can get 200 discs in the thin anti-static sleeves available at/from Sleeve City in each row -- so thats 800 discs per drawer x 5 = 4000 discs.

dave
Old Jul 22, 2010, 6:51 AM   #16

Photos?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2010, 12:41 AM   #17

At some point..... I jhad to send it back as the bottom needs reinforced some as it was buckling etc

dave
Old Jul 24, 2010, 12:06 AM   #18

For some reason the cabimet slides the drawers were mounted on can not handle the weigh and the drawers are not fully loaded by any means. The left side also buckled a little. The concept is good just not heavu duty enough.

I was promised a new unit within 2 weeks stronger and better. The guy agreed it failed and was not my fault nor did I over load it from what I said I needed it to do, they under estimated the weight involved.

dave