Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Jan 12, 2009, 12:48 AM   #1

I have a valtuz 4 drawer unit to hold all of my DVDs as well as 2x 2 drawer old school wooden storage units that hold 40 CDs each (20 per drawer)

Long story short all 3 units are near capacity so its time for some more storage

I am looking for a high capacity unit that can hold 500 or more CDs/DVDs in slim line jewel cases. I am presently shooting a ton of photos for a major project and it will produce about 30 to 40 DVDs of photos within the next 2 to 2 1/2 months.

- It would be nice if it had different drawers etc so I could subdivide my disc by common subjects I shot or at least if its a big box have deviders between each row of discs

- I do have room under a bed 44 wide by 36 inch deep that I can use, oh andall three beds in the house are 6 1/4inches off the floor.

- The basement here is not heated or airconditioned and its about 40 dgrees at low end so I am afraid to just throwing up a bookshelf type unit there for storage.

Any and all ideas appreciated. I am thinking some kind of low profile trunk or trunks under the bed with slots set up the width of the discs but so far an internet search has not found anything......

thanks

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2009, 12:17 PM   #2

The slim line jewel cases are going to be a problem. Storage systems for CDs and DVDs are designed to accomodate the full size jewel cases. If space is at a premium (and it sounds like it is) you can use the jewel cases that store 2 disks in a singe jewel case. I use them whenever I can.

I also use the cheap Fellowes modular jewel case storage units, so I can add more whenever I need to. But they definately would not pass for furniture, and they can take up a lot of wall space if you're planning to store 200+ disks. They can hold 30 standard jewel cases, plus 3 of the 4-disk jewel cases (if you can still find them). They're 7" high, 18" wide and 5" deep. (You could lie them down and slide them under the beds, I suppose.)
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2009, 9:54 AM   #3

Thanks for the idea on the dual cases. I will look into them. I use the slim line case because they are thinner and in my present vaultz unit I can get so many more discs into each drawer.

Space is not so much a premium as their are places I can put a shelving unit etc. Its just that I will need large scale storage and thought using the space under my bed might be a good place to start. I started a project for the county government/historical society yesterday that will take about 3 months to complete and will yield 30 to 40 DVDs of photos. So it gonna greatly increase my collection of discs.

Thanks again for the dual case idea

dave
Old Jan 13, 2009, 10:09 AM   #4

If you're doing this for the County, perhaps the County could provide the storage. Some local governments have pretty bad IT equipment and support, but most Counties are pretty well off in that department. And that way, their IT department is responsible for backing up, etc.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 9:24 PM   #5

You make valid points. The deal is they are providing me with discs to transfer all of the pictures to. The person in charge of the project said they will also give me the same number of discs as the final set so that I can mke copies of the project for my own archives. So that said I get free discs and all my gas is paid for...... just need s way to store this stuff and all the other stuff coming down the pipeline. I am only 34 so I have another ?? years worth of stuff coming down the pipeline......

It will sure be good when the 50GB Blue-ray discs and burners become affordable.

dave
Old Jan 17, 2009, 10:14 AM   #6

Photo 5 wrote:
Quote:
It will sure be good when the 50GB Blue-ray discs and burners become affordable.
You're not holding your breath, are you? [suB]:-)[/suB]

As I recall, you just bought a DVD Burner. How long did that take? [suB]:-)[/suB]
Old Jan 22, 2009, 11:11 PM   #7

No I am not holding my breath

Well I did get a Dual Layer DVD burner in mid 2007 when I got my current laptop a Durabook. Transferred most of my photo discs to DVDs within the first three months of getting it.

dave
Old Feb 14, 2009, 7:38 PM   #8

About2 yearsago I started to have the same problem-=where to put all my disks. One of my hobbies is collecting on DVD + R disks all the movies on TV that interest me. To date I have about 1500 disks. This does present a storage problem.

I soon realized the problem was growing without any good plan for storage. Simply storing is not really the problem. The problem arises when I want to pull a disk to play or copy.

I designed, and made a preliminary patent application for a stackable, plastic case for holding 100 disks. I woirked out a color coded, numerical system for placement and retrieval. I got acceptance for the preliminary patent, but they are only good for a year, so it is now lapsed. I believe the patent would have been successful, but my health deteriorated and I did not have the strength in me at that time to progress further on a utility patent. My device is what the originator of this forum article needed. One exception, my device stored the disks in colored paper envelopes as they require much less room and cost that way.

I buy my disks in 100 count lots, so I have at the end an empty 100 unit storage container. I use these entirely now for storage. I use a computer spreadsheet to list the disks by number. I list the data on the spreadsheet. The disks are stored in the containers with lots of disks numberd 1 to 100, 101 to 200, 201 to 300, etc.

It is no problem to look on my lists, decide what number I want, then find and pull it from the container it is stored in.

The containers are stackable and really require very little room.

I have ended up with a system that fully meets my needs at little cost or effort.

As an aside, I use Costco as a source for my disks. Every two or three months they have a two for one sale on their 100 unit containers. I have used a variety of brands as Costco switches. The DVD + R works better for my purposes than the DVD -R types. I have found the TDK brand is best, followed by Sony. Some other brands have faults now and then, but I won't say which as I have not tried them all, nor have I run any laboratory tests. There are surely other good brands.

I hope this helps someone out there with the storage problem. If anyone wants more information I might give, contact me. I might consider applying for the envisioned patent if I could get some partners and financing.

Old Engineer
Old Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2009, 2:27 PM   #9

Thanks for youre reply but I want to be cmpletely honest I neither want to atore my discs in 100 count spindle containers or paper envlopes. The 100 count empty disc spindles can over time cause the hole in the disc to become warpted and this is based on a cousin that did this (ad was taking discs out a lot of putting them back -- for long term backups it might work if you only go at the discs infrequently but for my job I would be going to discs more often) plus many comments I have recieved personnally on the subject. Also using paper envelopes causes the disc to possibiliy scratch over time from removal and placing them back into the envelopes. The least likely way to prevent issues is to use either dual CD cases or slim line jewel CD cases for the discs. I have done a lot of research and am still looking for the perfect solution. My main problem now is that I have found several trunk like storage cases for several 100 to 1000 discs but my bed sits to close to the floor. I guess I could raise the heght of the bed with a new bed frame but I am ojnly 5 feet tall.....

Anyway thanks for your suggestions and good luck with your patient etc.

dave
Old Feb 15, 2009, 7:19 PM   #10

Dave, I may be overlooking somethng as regards deformation of the disc holes when stored on a spindle in a storage container. But when the containers are upright, there is no pressure on the holes. If stored with the containers on their side there could be pressure, but, even then, only that caused from one disc's weight, and that is negligible in the scope of things. In a millenium, maybe. In a few years, no affect. In my opinion there is a greater chance of distortion from the strain imposed by the grasping ring on any jewel case, both as the disc rests in the case, and as it is being inserted or removed.

As regards the envelope paper scratching the playing surface. Sure, it's possible. In your case you may consider it an important factor due to a high number of disc removals. In my case, for my remaining years there may be as many as ten removals on some discs, no more, and for many only once or twice.

Thanks for your interest and I hope you get your problem resolved.

Old Engineer
Old Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote