Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Feb 3, 2009, 11:03 PM   #1

I vacation a lot and I would like to buy a portable storage device that I can toss my SD card in at the end of the day with out having to use a computer. All the ones I seem to find are cheap looking or complex digital viewers. Suggestions?
vwheeler78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2009, 10:04 AM   #2

You could try one of these:

Wolverine Digital Camera Backup Solutions

Epson Multimedia Photo Viewers

... or a cheaper solution might be to just buy more cards.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2009, 12:56 PM   #3

If you were willing to forego the 'display' capability and just go for more storage, the Kingston 8 GB Class 6 SDHC cards are dirt cheap and in the ballpark of the performance of the Sandisk Extreme III SDHC cards. Here's a listing from http://www.pricegrabber.com:

http://computers.pricegrabber.com/fl...duct/sv=title/

You can also try the same manuf part # on http://www.pricespider.com and see if that gives you a few more results.
fotografo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2009, 11:06 PM   #4

I own a wolverine 60GB flashpack device myself. It is the one without a photo view screen. It comes in various sizes like 60GB, 80GB etc. It is not cheaply built at all. It travels well inits ownpadded case. The only downsize of this device is that it is not the fastest upload of the devices out there. Several other brands have faster upload times. However at the time Wolverine had the best rating and was the least costly per MB. Things may have changed but I have not fololowed the market since I giot mine in 2006.

I bought my in summer of 2006 because I was going on a once in a lifetime trip to Baltimore MD for a fire-rescue convention and family reuion of sorts. I had the chance to take pictures of 100s of fire trucks and spend5 days in the inner harbor area of Baltimore.I only had a 1GB and a 2GB card for my 9 mega-pixel Fuji camera and knew that wasn't enough memory for the entire weeks trip. Also due to how I was traveling and staying in a hotel I didn't want to lug a laptop with me. The wolverine was small enough to fit in my camera bag and the AC adaptor went in the suitecase. I also had an earlier version of the same device with a 40GB hard drive (

that couldn't handle the larger CF cards I was using)that I used for a trip to Nashville in 2004 tosave phiotos from64MB smart media cards. So it was replaced.

I eneded up uploading about 10GB of pictures to it over the course of the week. I also used it the following Spring to upload images from a family wedding so I could reuse the memory cards to capture more images at the event... it was a 3 day combination family reunion, rehersal dinner and wedding. Ever single relative was there and it gave me the chance to be the family photographer and take 17GB of photos (only had 9GB worth of memory cards at that time).

Now that the price of memory cards has come down I really don't use it anymore. I have a 16GB, an 8GB, 4GB, 4GB and 2GB CF cards for my camera now. I since gave the 1GB card to my brother for his 4MP camera.

You really have to weight the price of the device vs getting some extra 8GB and 16GB memory cards.Also think about how many photos will you really take over the course of a trip and will a 16GB card be enough??????? Back in the time frame of 2004 --> 2007 when memory cards were smaller and prices higher the cost of one of these devices made a lot of sense for high volume shooters. Now that you can get a 16GB for under $50 in some cases and the devices are $200 and up you need to weigh your opinions more carefully....... you may better spend your money on additional SD and SCHC cards and a carrying case for them.

Now when I travel with the amount of mrmory I have on CF cards I can take close to 8,000 images without running out of space on my Sony A200. Worest case I can always shoot in 5MP vs 10MP in pinch and get even more photos on one of the cards.

As for SDHC try looking transcend in additiion to kingston. I use 4 transcend cards and their performance is rock solid in all tyoes of tempatures from 3 degrees to 100.

Hope this helps

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2009, 11:20 PM   #5

Until very recently I bought all my camera gear from bhphotovideo except for my memory card which I always get at newegg. They have the best prices and very realiable and fast service (bhphotovideo seems to have memory card prices that are 1.5 to 2x higher than newegg).

I am not sure what camera you are using...... you menitoned SD cards so here is are2 options if you camera can use just SD or if it can use SDHC.

If you can use SDHC, heres an 8GB card for $15.........

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820208293

If you can only use SD cardstry this 2GB card for $5.99 (there so cheap if you plan to take tons of photos just pick up 3 or 4 of these cards)........ I use transcend 133x speed CF cards in 4GB, 8GB and 16GB myself. I also have a 4GB PDQ and a 2GB sandisc ultra II

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820208385

Great prices and seems like the prices have recently been really coming down. I piad $99 last summer for my 16GB ard, now they have them for $50 in some places. I paid $65 for each of my 8GB at the time I got them.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2009, 12:14 PM   #6

i have just purchased a MEMORY KICK. it's in the mail, so i haven't used it yet. it's smaller and less expensive than everything else i've seen, with lots of good features. comes in various sizes.
jcc146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2009, 12:27 PM   #7

The Memory Kick is an external hard disk drive. It doesn't do anything unless it's connected to a computer.

The Wolverine and Epson products are self contained, have their own card readers and displays. They can operate without being connected to a computer.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 9:03 AM   #8
NHL

I have an Epson P2000, but if I have to upgrade it today I would seriuously look at a netbook instead...

-> Advantages:
o Cost $300 or less
o 8" to 10" display
o 160GB storage
o Bigger battery
o Work with RAW
o Run all Window Apps (including Photoshop)

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2009, 3:50 PM   #9

the older memory kick models were basically an external hard drive, but from what i see of this newer version it's much more and in line with what the original poster was looking for.

http://www.memorykick.com/

i'm really looking forward to recieving mine.

jcc146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2009, 3:53 PM   #10

You are correct. Thank you.