Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Aug 7, 2009, 1:13 PM   #1

Default Lense Hood: How do I put it on? :S

Hey guys, Im sal911, first post here! Great site. very innformative. I own a Canon Rebel XS. and I have a lens hood (58mm Flower Lens Hood)
I have put it on by rotating it on clockwise, but sometimes when I look through the Viewfinder and or i take a photo sometimes( at certain spots ) I can actually see the ends of the hood in the picture...Now Im not sure if im putting it on correctly, OR the hood isnt for my camera...I dont know
What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks!
sal911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 7, 2009, 1:19 PM   #2

It's not about matching a hood to a camera it's about matching a hood to a particular lens. It isn't just about the diameter of the hood, it's about the focal length of a lens. For example, my 17-40 and 70-200 2.8 both have the same diameter hood. But you couldn't use the 70-200 2.8 hood on the 17-40 because the hood is too long. It's that length that makes the hood visible. That's why the hood for the 17-40 is very shallow and "petal" shaped (notches out at the corners). That petal shape is because the corners are where the hood is most likely to interfere with the light so the notches keep that from happening. For what it's worth, there are 'flower' or 'petal' hoods for the 70-200 2.8 too. But they're still too long for the 17-40. That's the tough part about buying third-party hoods unless the hood is specifically marketed as fitting your specific lens.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2009, 1:21 PM   #3

Dang...I guess the hood wont work for me then lol
sal911 is offline   Reply With Quote