Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Dec 15, 2009, 1:58 AM   #1

Default Lens Hood?

Am looking, on ebay, for a lens hood for my T1i. I knew about the ones with the "flower shape" or petal style, but there are more than that type listed
Is there a style that is better than others or is it just preference?
TA,
norma
chopper123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2009, 2:09 AM   #2

Type in the canon model number of the canon hood of your lens.
Which lens are you trying to get hoods for?
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2009, 2:39 AM   #3

If you got the kit lenses, just type in these model number. The lens rotate with the kit lens so you can not use a petal hood. You will have to get the standard hood, which the following are.

et-60 for the 55-250
ew-60 for the 18-55
Old Dec 15, 2009, 5:50 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Petal lens hoods are only good if the front element doesn't rotate during focus/zooming.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2009, 7:51 AM   #5

I am after hoods for the "kit" lenses.
Thanks for all your responses and info!!
norma
chopper123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2009, 8:21 AM   #6

The Canon 18-55 kit lens uses the Canon EW-60C lens hood, which is a conical lens hood.

And I'd like to add something to what has been said here already. Petal type lens hoods that attach to the lens via the filter threads are inappropriate for lenses that have a rotating front elements. If the front element doesn't rotate, or the petal hood attaches via a bayonet mount, it will be fine. Most of the after-market lens hoods attach via the filter threads, however, and if a petal hood attaches via the filter threads and the front element rotates, the petals will often rotate into the frame.

Petal lens hoods are better, if you can get one specifically designed for your lens. The gap between the petals allows for a clear view in the corners of the frame while the petals block extraneous light from sources outside the frame that would not be blocked by a cylindrical or conical lens hood.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2009, 5:16 PM   #7

Both of the canon aftermarket hood I got are standard hoods connecting via bayonet mount for the kit lenes. It makes it easy to remove quickly. I would avoid thread mounts, but I really have not see any of them when I was looking for hood for the ef-s kit lenses.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 2:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Both of the canon aftermarket hood I got are standard hoods connecting via bayonet mount for the kit lenes. It makes it easy to remove quickly. I would avoid thread mounts, but I really have not see any of them when I was looking for hood for the ef-s kit lenses.

shoturtle, you've pointed me to the eBay hoods in another post, and you're saying that the ones you've gotten from there are bayonet mount? I was just under the assumption that since they were inexpensive from Hong Kong they would be screw on.
fbords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2010, 4:41 PM   #9

Yes the ones I got off of ebay and recommend are bayonet mount, for the 2 kit lens, it will cost about 7 dollars for both hood. Just type in the canon model number I have posted before for the hood. And all the ones that come up are bayonet mount hood. for 3-4 dollars. Hope that helps.