Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Jan 2, 2010, 7:02 AM   #1

Default Camera bag for T1i

Beginner here. Anyone have any recommendations for a good camera bag? DH bought me a very big Lowepro as a gift but I just thought it was overkill and I didn't need the waistbelt extra support. The size was overwhelming to me to. I am a petite person. I would like to hold the camera + kit lens, maybe an additional lens or two + external flash and some accessories. I briefly looked at the Crumpler Million Dollar home series and some Kata bags. I've only been looking online as the nearest camera store is several miles away from me.
gavsmompa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2010, 11:36 AM   #2
Super Moderator

I have the Crumpler 5 Million Dollar home and I really love it. It is big enough to carry my 50d with a lens attached and 2 more lenses (or lens/flash, lens/cellphone, etc) but keeps it in a small package that doesn't look like a camera bag (makes me feel more secure to not be obviously carrying a camera bag)

should be an excellent choice.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 8:44 AM   #3

It really depends on what type of bag you want. I have several, which I use for different things. I sort-of break them down by weight-carrying capacity.

I have a small Tamrac shoulder bag that can hold the camera with lens mounted, one or two other lenses (if the lenses are small I can also fit a flash in) and it has a pocket for batteries, cards, small pad of paper, pen etc. etc. It's great for a beginner bag - I originally bought it for a ultrazoom with a big lens - and I'll use it when I want to go light. Some people would find a messenger bag more comfortable, but since I'm a girl I thought it looked more normal to have a shoulder bag than a messenger bag. I outgrew this bag fairly quickly though. Another option I have for camera with a small lens mounted and possibly another small lens is a fanny pack (mine is a Lowepro).

When the weight got too much for the shoulder bag I decided to get a sling bag. At the same time I had acquired enough stuff that I was concerned about the smaller size of the Slingshot 100 so I got the 200 bag. If you don't have much stuff, the 100 works just as well and is smaller. I found I could carry quite a bit more weight comfortably and I love how accessible everything is (I re-arranged the dividers a bit so I could get everything easily from the side entry). The sling bags all are worn cross-shoulder and only have one shoulder strap. The Lowepro 300 has an additional hip strap that has no way to be hidden and I didn't like that at all, as well as thinking it looked absolutely silly on me.

But there is eventually a limit to how much you can carry in a sling bag. You can carry the most amount of weight in a backpack, however I do a fair amount of day-hiking and found out years ago that what's in the pack usually stays there. I hate having to stop and take off the pack to retrieve anything. Kata makes the 3N1 series bags - they can work either as a sling bag using one shoulder strap and storing the other in a pocket for it, or you can use both straps and wear it as a backpack. It has side access on both sides, so someone left-handed can set it up for access on the right instead of on the left like the other sling bags. Their 3N1-10 is about the same size as the Lowepro Slingshot 100 or the other smaller sized sling bags.

If you want to do-it-yourself, I've seen several people who have bought a thinsolate sleeping pad (closed cell foam pad), cut it up to form whatever grid they need and then put that into a diaper bag. Instant camouflage!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 8:49 AM   #4

I have a tamrac velocity, it carries my t1i with the 18-55 mounted and the 55-250 len. There is still room for filters and spear batteries. It can be a hip bag, or back pack or shoulder bag.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2010, 10:55 AM   #5

sorry, dont mean to hi-jack this post, but i have a related question. I too am in the market for a bag for a T1i and was wondering what some reputable brand names were. Ultimately, I know that the type/size/etc is up to me, but I'm looking for a starting point of where to look. I checked out the Crumpler bags previously mentioned and I like them a lot, but are there a lot of other brands out there that offer good protection, storage and similar style (not look like a camera/camcorder bag?
fbords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2010, 11:26 AM   #6

crumpler, tarmac, lowepro, kata are all good brand.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2010, 1:10 PM   #7

I use a couple of different bags.

1). Lowepro Fastpack 200

I don't use this bag so often. Just occasionally. This is a basic backpack style bag. It's quite deep, so a DSLR w/battery grip attached w/zoom lens will fit into the bottom compartment easily (e.g. Canon 10D w/battery grip w/300mm). And a couple of more lenses. I paid $50 w/ free shipping on ebay. Much cheaper than BestBuy for example.

2). Crumpler 4 Million Dollar Home bag.

I use this bag a lot when I just need to carry my Olympus E-620 w/14-54mm Mark I lens. Very well made. My walk-around bag.

3). Artisan & Artist bag

This is a nice bag also. They don't make this model anymore, but they still make nice bags like "Image Smith", "Oskar's One Day Bag" etc... Very well made. Ballistic nylon w/leather handle. Water resistant high tech plastic zipper. It won't scratch the camera either. You can remove the entire red insert from the bag, so you can use it for a briefcase too. 14" x 9 1/2" x 6 1/2"

Last edited by hiro1963; Jan 9, 2010 at 2:18 PM.
hiro1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2010, 2:24 PM   #8

I was looking at the Crumpler 4 million $ home myself as all I really need is room for a Canon T1i w/kit lens, extra lens, and some small accessories. I also like that it's a holster style bag so I can grab the camera and put it away quickly. $65 seems like a good price, but finding it in stock some place where I can see it is another story. Seems to be sold out all over.
fbords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2010, 7:08 PM   #9

Add MRock to the good bag manufacturers. They are a small US company and I thought their bags are slightly better than Lowepro. Also Tenba has a nice looking sling bag that has tripod attachments on it, and a rather unique arrangement/access.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2010, 10:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
I have the Crumpler 5 Million Dollar home and I really love it. It is big enough to carry my 50d with a lens attached and 2 more lenses (or lens/flash, lens/cellphone, etc) but keeps it in a small package that doesn't look like a camera bag (makes me feel more secure to not be obviously carrying a camera bag)

should be an excellent choice.
Would there be enough room in the 5MH for the 50D w/18-55, a 70-200F4 and a flash? I have looked at the bag ang it is the style I love and looks great, just concerned about the 70-200.
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote