Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Jan 24, 2010, 10:07 PM   #1

Default accessories for canon powershot sx20

As a newbie, i purchased a camera with seemingly no good accessories...

Then i found the filter adapter:

http://lensmateonline.com/newsite/SX10SX1.html

So i bought a polarizer, and the Raynox DCR-250 Super Macro Lens. (I returned the macro though, because my camera shot better macro without it.)

Then, I bought the Sunpak DSLR 67 macro ring light, a mini tripod, lens cleaning stuff, a different lens hood and cap, a case, and batteries and a charger.

My camera has 20x optical zoom built in.. i wish i could buy a telephoto lens for it...

Now I am looking at a shutter remote, does anyone know if the SX20 is compatible with a remote? would this work:
http://www.focalprice.com/DI134B/Shu...50D_Black.html,
It looks like it would fit...

or would i need to buy this?:
http://www.focalprice.com/DI143B/70c...ase_Black.html

I am going to hold of on buying a flash (i only have the choice of two) because im not a big fan of flash.

I am thinking of buy a cheapo UV lens "protector" just to keep my lens for scratching. Can i stack a polarizer, and a UV and a screw mount hood all together onto my SX20 lens adapter?

Also, are there any other accessories possible for the SX20... i realize that is a broad question, but i thought i'd ask.

Thanks!
-Eric
ewheeler20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2010, 8:35 AM   #2
Administrator

AFAIK, there is no remote shutter release that's compatible with the SX20.

As for stacking the filters, that might work. But, you'll likely run into multiple issues like vignetting (darkening of corners), loss of light (you tend to lose around 2 stops with a typical polarizer, depending on how it's rotated, meaning you'd need shutter speeds 4 times as long for the same lighting, aperture and ISO speed), and flare (because the more optical elements you add, the more likely you'll have unwanted reflections between optical elements causing flare and/or loss of contrast, especially if they're lower quality filters).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2010, 3:27 PM   #3

do they sell just plain glass that i could stack on top of my polarizer, so that would not darken the corners, or lose stops, but still protecting my lens?
Old Jan 25, 2010, 6:03 PM   #4
Administrator

A polarizer is what causes loss of light. ;-)

There are tradeoffs using one. In better outdoor lighting, that may be something you'll want to do from time to time. But, I definitely would not leave one on your camera.

Ditto for a UV filter (those will not improve image quality on a modern digital camera). You usually will not see any loss of light using one, but you can see flare related issues.

Vignetting can be caused from the edges of any filter type (and some higher quality brands have "thin" filters designed to minimize that problem. But, if you're stacking multiple filters, you're going to add to that kind of issue.

From what I can gather from your posts here so far, you're itching to put more glass in front of your camera's lens.

Anytime you add more optical elements to your camera manufacturer's lens design, you are likely to degrade versus improve image quality, in one way or another.

You'll have to decide if the tradeoffs are worth it or not. But, I certainly wouldn't be buying a lot of lens related accessories if I owned that type of camera, so that I wouldn't be degrading the image quality the manufacturer worked hard to get from it's design.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 6:18 PM   #5
Administrator

IOW, your camera was not even designed to use those types of accessories, as Canon doesn't even offer any type of lens adapter to use them with.

So, you're more likely to do more harm than good by putting more glass in front of your camera's lens, unless you have very specific circumstances you want to use those types of add-ons in, with an understanding of their pros and cons (for example, loss of light from the polarizer, vignetting with virtually any of those add-on lenses, flare related issues from light reflecting in between optical elements, etc).

There is usually 'no free lunch" with those types of add-ons. ;-)
Old Jan 25, 2010, 7:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
A polarizer is what causes loss of light. ;-)
From what I can gather from your posts here so far, you're itching to put more glass in front of your camera's lens.

Anytime you add more optical elements to your camera manufacturer's lens design, you are likely to degrade versus improve image quality, in one way or another.
Haha, you are correct.
I guess i didnt buy the right camera for that. thanks for the input. I decided not to buy any telephoto lens's, and probably just stick to a polarizer for occasional use.
-Eric
Old Jan 26, 2010, 4:48 AM   #7
Administrator

It's not just having the right kind of camera. The same problems exist on cameras that are designed to take add-on lenses.

Now, sometimes they can be worth it, as long as you understand that there are usually tradeoffs (especially if you're not using very high quality glass with good coatings). For example, vignetting using TCs with increased Chromatic Aberrations and softening of corners in many cases; flare related issues using some filters when brighter light sources are in the frame, etc. So, I wouldn't rush out and buy a lot of those filter thread attached types of add-ons unless you have very specific needs for them.