Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Aug 5, 2002, 9:53 PM   #1

Default Extended Warranties??

Haven't seen a discussion about this:

Brick & morter stores often offer GE. I've used them and they work.

Most online stores (and others) offer MACK extended warranties. And there is a clause that excludes LCD and lens.

The prices vary dramatically.

So - Does someone have experience with these. Are these worth anything??
EBig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2002, 10:19 PM   #2

Mr Big,
For what product and brand?
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2002, 1:45 PM   #3

The GE warranty worked with Canon cameras purchased at GoodGuys in Calif.

The Mack warranty would be for a Fuji or Minolta at one of the better online sources.
EBig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2002, 1:55 PM   #4

Mr Big,
Olympus sells extended warrentieson line at their site for their cams, computers4sure also carries. These are factory ones. May want to check camera manufacvters web site. Seems to be a shift as manufacters are selling there refurbs and warrenties now.
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2002, 3:03 PM   #5

If you're buying extended warranty via a third party company and not from the original camera manufactory, you'll will not get the services from them (original mfg). Those third party companies contract with several different tech contractors arround the country to provide repair services, and I don't know how reliable their services are. For some retailers such as Best Buy, they sell the performance guarrantee, and in my opinion, it worths the try, because if there is anything wrong with the camera within the warranty period, you bring the camera back to the store and they will you a brand new one with no question to ask, I've been there and done that...cheers
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2002, 4:31 PM   #6
IOU

I did purchase the extended warranty on my camera.. I bought the 700uz and spent at the time about 500 of the camera. and about 150 more on the warranty.. I have gone thru my last camera in 1 year and did not fix it due to the cost of repairs being about 70 for inspection plus cost or parts labor etc.. I figure it gives me the total of 4 years perfect use on the camera or it gets fixed.

I would not get one had I not know what the warrnaty covered and having not known the comapny I bought the camera from.. (circuit city) I was also an employee back in mid 90's and know how their services works.. make sure the salesperson who sells the warranty knows about the warranty
IOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2002, 9:17 PM   #7

I took a chance and purchased a 3-year extended warranty on-line from Image Depot when I paid for my Fuji S602. Cost was $24.95 and the warranty is actually from Mack Camera and Video Service. I figure the cost was reasonable considering the fragility of digital cameras.
WeekendWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote