Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Mar 21, 2010, 8:10 PM   #1

Default Ball Head

I'm looking for a ball head for my tripod. The kind I'm looking for will have levers that have a have a lock in handle where the handle is an inch or two in diameter.

I have a ball head that uses small knobs that I just can't get tight enough to hold things in place. I would be open to a pistol grip, but that's not my favorite.

I'd really like a ball head with two or three levers that tighten and also serve to aim the DSLR. I saw one recently that had 3 levers that had large handles. I was not able to ask the owner of the ball head for the model.

But I instantly saw the torque advantage of a larger grip handle than the finger twist knobs.

Thanks!
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2010, 8:56 AM   #2

I've been satisfied with the heads I've ordered from Amvona.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 8:58 AM   #3

Which model?
Old Mar 24, 2010, 5:00 PM   #4

Well, I purchased a Manfrotto Standard 3 way head. Model 808RC4. It says it's good for up to 17 pounds.

So I shot my test photo with it just to see how sharp I could get a photo. I used the 24-105 L Canon lens with IS turned off. I used the 10 second delay shutter, I shot the photo at 5.6 and used the tripod and shot it in RAW.

Woe.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 5:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithfulPastor View Post
... I'd really like a ball head with two or three levers that tighten and also serve to aim the DSLR. ...
That sounds like a Pan/Tilt head. Are you sure you want a Ball Head?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 10:52 PM   #6

TCav, you are right again. I did not go for a ball head, it was a Pan/Tilt. You have a most keen eye.

Thanks for reading my posts, I appreciate your comments very much.

Faithfully yours.
FP
Old Mar 25, 2010, 3:26 PM   #7

Not all ball heads are created equal. I've had several ball heads that don't tighten down but hate fiddling with a bunch of different levers, where I'd get one of them lined up right, only to have to re-adjust another one (the pan/tilt I have). I finally bought a relatively expensive, good quality ball head and have had no more trouble with camera droop or being able to tighten it down properly.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 3:50 PM   #8

So... Mtngal, which ballhead did you buy?
Old Mar 25, 2010, 6:56 PM   #9

Not the one I wanted, believe it or not. I wanted a Really Right Stuff ball head as I knew I was going to get their L-bracket and quick release plate. I ended up buying the basic Gitzo ball head because they were offering $100 rebate if you purchased both a head and a tripod at the same time. The head was cheaper than the RRS head to begin with, and add on the larger rebate and I couldn't turn it down. While I would have preferred the RRS head, the Gitzo works very well so I can't complain at all. Needless to say, I have more money tied up with my tripod set-up than most, but I love my set-up, it's light, easy to use, steady and perfect for my needs. I no longer have to worry about camera droop or the camera rotating because the bracket doesn't fit the camera right. The L-bracket makes it quick and fast to switch from landscape to vertical, without having to do major re-aligning.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote