Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Mar 31, 2010, 3:01 PM   #1

Default Bag - Buy small to bigger? or Buy big and small later?

Wondering if I should buy a bag with the expectation of getting more gear or buy one now that fits everything I have?

Experiences would be greatly appreciated...
PATWRIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2010, 3:04 PM   #2

I have 5 bag, and it depend on what I am carrying which one I use, I have from just the camera and a short lens case to a backpack that carries everything. You will not always want to carry everything. So I would get one that fits you current need and one additional lens. And see where that leads you.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 3:35 PM   #3

I'm another that recommends a small bag for a first bag, as long as your expectation is to get another, bigger bag sooner, rather than later. I still use a small shoulder bag that I bought for an ultrazoom that's great when I only want to go out with the camera and two lenses, and don't want to lug around a lot of other stuff. If you want one bag only, then go bigger. It's amazing how much room things like extra batteries, a filter, etc. takes up, and how quickly one collects lots of those little things.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:25 PM   #4

If you can find just one bag that works for every photo outing, please yet me know where to get one. I am down to about five bags right now, just gave two away. Bags are like lenses, you just keep buying one after another one.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2010, 10:31 AM   #5

I also have a number of bags but I did start off with a large bag lugging so much stuff around so that I was up for all possibilities. However I have gradually gone smaller with each bag a bit smaller that the last, Basically it depends what you want to shoot and what you want to shoot it with. My D5000 + 18-200mm + Sb400 flash + diffuser + spare battery + Blower brush + cleaning fluid and cloths.SLR Gorillapod all fit into my Lowepro Zoom 1 bag except the Gorilla pod which I hang on the outside.I like with the aid of a chest harness having complete hand freedom to climb around and be mobile.
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Beike carbon 4 section tripod/monopod
Gorillapod SLR Zoom + BH1 ball head
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2010, 9:03 PM   #6

I like a nag that is not too big so that everything packs in very tight so that when you travel nothing moves around and gets broken. me the Lowe Pro Nova AW3 is the perfect size to carry everything I need to have without being too big......

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2010, 9:08 AM   #7

I use a LowePro Commercial to store the camera, 6 lenses, 2 flashes, and small accessories at home, a LowePro Compact for indoor venues and a LowePro MicroTrekker 200 for field trips. The Commercial is too heavy for normal shooting so I usually only bring a subset of the equipment on a particular photo op.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2010, 10:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calicajun View Post
If you can find just one bag that works for every photo outing, please yet me know where to get one. I am down to about five bags right now, just gave two away. Bags are like lenses, you just keep buying one after another one.
I'll add camera straps to the list as well.

Regards
bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2010, 10:46 PM   #9

I bought (mostly) bags that had more space for future acquisitions. I have mostly Lowepro...but my most recent bag is a Kata 20 3N1...I find I'm using it mostly...I'm very impressed with it.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote