Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Dec 4, 2003, 1:28 AM   #1
Administrator

Default Addonics MFR review posted

We just posted the Addonics MFR review:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_...onics_mfr.html

This is an 18-in-1 card reader, portable CD burner, DVD player, slideshow to TV super gadget. Only $249.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2003, 11:50 AM   #2

Default Burn time difference

Steve, according to the review of the Apacer Disc Steno, it took 5 minutes exactly to back up a nearly full 512MB CF card without error checking, and with error checking the time was 18:50".

According to the specs, the Disc Steno and the MFR both have a maximum burn speed of 24x, yet it took 28:30" to back up a similarly loaded CF card of the same capacity. I don't know whether the MFR does error checking, but I assume not, because I know that the more or less identical MicroSolutions RoadStor does not have this feature.

Do you have any idea why the MFR takes so much longer?

Charlie Bowen
Cu Roi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2003, 2:40 PM   #3

Oh, my..... Wow. This is a serious gadget. I read the first 4 paragraphs and my eyes started to bug out. All those things are things I've considered getting individually.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2003, 4:57 PM   #4
Administrator

Well, the 24x burn speed is only useful when it is connected to a computer and used as an external CD burner. When copying from the card to CD the speed is a matter of how fast the unit reads the data from the card and then sends it to the CD recorder.

The documentation for the Addonics is next to nothing, it doesn't really tell you anything technical about the unit, just the basic "how to use it."

Being that it did take so long to copy the data and burn the CD I would be willing to think that it does do verification after the write process. There is no option to enable or disable it so it must be active all the time.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2003, 5:22 PM   #5

Thanks, Steve.

I'd *like* to think that the MFR is doing data verification, but in the Imaging Resource of the Micro Solutions RoadStor, which appears to be the same unit, it says:
Quote:
RoadStor itself does not verify the copies. The company told us, "Verification using Windows or Mac tools can be performed after the backup is complete, if desired. Microsoft's FC (File Compare) would perform such a function."
According to a RoadStor owner writing on another forum, it took about 30 minutes to back up a 512MB CF card, although he said that the card is an early, slow one and he thought that might be affecting the time.

I know from the review that you used a fast card (SanDisk Extreme) but without a direct comparison it isn't possible to say whether or not the card speed affects the burn speed.

Charlie
Cu Roi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2003, 5:38 PM   #6

Received mine in the mail. Told the wife needed to test it before it was wrapped (LOL). Very impressed with the stand alone operation.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote