Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Jun 22, 2010, 2:11 PM   #1

Default Nikon D50 Battery Grip!

I have been doing a little research to look for a battery grip for the d50. I know that Nikon did not create one for the d50 but I believe that Opteka made one for it? Does anyone know of any battery grips for the d50? With vertical shutter release or without.

Thanks In Advance.

EDIT: The grip that seems to be popular for the d50 is the Merkury MI-BG-N50, apparently it has some terminal shortages or something? It's an $100 grip.

Last edited by NoFlashPhotography; Jun 23, 2010 at 3:17 AM. Reason: I forgot to add something important.
NoFlashPhotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 23, 2010, 5:02 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlashPhotography View Post
I have been doing a little research to look for a battery grip for the d50. I know that Nikon did not create one for the d50 but I believe that Opteka made one for it? Does anyone know of any battery grips for the d50? With vertical shutter release or without.

Thanks In Advance.

EDIT: The grip that seems to be popular for the d50 is the Merkury MI-BG-N50, apparently it has some terminal shortages or something? It's an $100 grip.
A battery Grip is a good investment for DSLR's ... I've almost never used my DSLR's without a Battery Grip, be it BG-E3 (for 400D), BG-E5 (for 500D), MB-D80 (for D90) and now the BG-E7 (for 7D) ... without hesitation, I will always vouch for a battery grip and its benefits, my resale value also increased because of a battery grip. I too heard that some of the 3rd party BG's have issues with their terminal short circuitry but I don't have first hand experiance as I've never used a third party Battery Grip ... the Merkury MI-BG-N50 looks good on paper ... btw, it retails for $78, check this site
http://www.newworldvideodirect.com/p...productid=2114
Best of luck with your Nikon D50 purchase! But don't forget to buy a 50mm f/1.8 lens with it ... you will never regret buying the 50mm f/1.8
Current Gear: Canon 7D+BG-E7 Battery Grip & 60D with EF 24-105 f/4 L IS; EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II; EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS; EF 100 f2.8 L IS; EF 50 f/1.8 II; Canon Speedlite 430 EX II; Metz 58 AF-1; Canon RC-5 Wireless Remote Controller & RS-80N3 Remote Switch; Manfrotto 190CX PRO4 with Manfrotto 322RC2 Grip Ball Head; Kenko Extension Tube Set; B+W UV & Polorizing filters
rienz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 1:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rienz View Post
A battery Grip is a good investment for DSLR's ... I've almost never used my DSLR's without a Battery Grip, be it BG-E3 (for 400D), BG-E5 (for 500D), MB-D80 (for D90) and now the BG-E7 (for 7D) ... without hesitation, I will always vouch for a battery grip and its benefits, my resale value also increased because of a battery grip. I too heard that some of the 3rd party BG's have issues with their terminal short circuitry but I don't have first hand experiance as I've never used a third party Battery Grip ... the Merkury MI-BG-N50 looks good on paper ... btw, it retails for $78, check this site
http://www.newworldvideodirect.com/p...productid=2114
Best of luck with your Nikon D50 purchase! But don't forget to buy a 50mm f/1.8 lens with it ... you will never regret buying the 50mm f/1.8
Thanks. I'm probably buying my d50 body next week and then i'll get a lens and down the road in a few months I may buy the battery grip.

What do you think of this lens for a zoom lens.
Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG APO Macro?
Old Jun 23, 2010, 3:12 PM   #4

Quote:
What do you think of this lens for a zoom lens.
Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG APO Macro?
Along with my first DSLR (Canon 400D + 18-55 kit lens) Sigma 70-300 f/4-5.6 DG APO Macro was the first lens I ever bought in my life ... although I sold it eventually, (to move up to Sigma 50-500 and now to Canon 100-400L), I still like the Sigma 70-300.
Some of my best photos at that time were taken with the Sigma 70-300 DG APO Macro. At that price point there is no better tele photo zoom lens ... I highly recommend it.
But make sure it is an DG APO lens because there is another lens Sigma makes with the exact name except the letters "APO" are missing ... so if it is a Sigma 70-300 DG Macro DO NOT BUY!
The Sigma 70-300 DG APO Macro has a red ring on top (I've hyperlinked both the lens names ... check it out)
Current Gear: Canon 7D+BG-E7 Battery Grip & 60D with EF 24-105 f/4 L IS; EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II; EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS; EF 100 f2.8 L IS; EF 50 f/1.8 II; Canon Speedlite 430 EX II; Metz 58 AF-1; Canon RC-5 Wireless Remote Controller & RS-80N3 Remote Switch; Manfrotto 190CX PRO4 with Manfrotto 322RC2 Grip Ball Head; Kenko Extension Tube Set; B+W UV & Polorizing filters
Old Jun 23, 2010, 4:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Along with my first DSLR (Canon 400D + 18-55 kit lens) Sigma 70-300 f/4-5.6 DG APO Macro was the first lens I ever bought in my life ... although I sold it eventually, (to move up to Sigma 50-500 and now to Canon 100-400L), I still like the Sigma 70-300.
Some of my best photos at that time were taken with the Sigma 70-300 DG APO Macro. At that price point there is no better tele photo zoom lens ... I highly recommend it.
But make sure it is an DG APO lens because there is another lens Sigma makes with the exact name except the letters "APO" are missing ... so if it is a Sigma 70-300 DG Macro DO NOT BUY!
The Sigma 70-300 DG APO Macro has a red ring on top (I've hyperlinked both the lens names ... check it out)
Yes because on Amazon.com the sigma 70-300mm DG Macro is $160 and with the APO it's $210. What does APO mean?
Old Jun 23, 2010, 7:39 PM   #6

Just some thoughts for you.

When I first got my D50 I thought about getting a battery grip for it. Mainly because the camera is a little too small for me. (Iím used to older film cameras with motor drives attached.) And I thought the drip would give me better balance.

But I realized a few things.

The batter life on my D50 is great.

Changing the battery only take a few seconds

The bet part about a battery grip is the vertical shutter release button. But sense the D50 was not designed for one, the generic grips use an IR remote built in them. This requires that you set the camera for the remote before shooting vertically. Then set it back to shoot horizontally.

All in all I decided these grips where not worth the money for this camera.

My solution to the size issue.

I made a grip out of a block of corrugated cardboard and covered it with a thin sheet of black foam. I attach it by using a longer bolt on my tripods quick release. The quick release is set in the cardboard so the whole thing still sets on a flat surface without rocking.

And yes it covers the battery compartment. But I donít have to completely remove it. Just turn it till itís out of the way. I can change the battery quicker than I can change a lens even if I donít put the lens caps back on.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 9:55 PM   #7

Quote:
... Sigma 70-300 DG Macro DO NOT BUY!
links don't work.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 11:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsnaps View Post
Just some thoughts for you.

When I first got my D50 I thought about getting a battery grip for it. Mainly because the camera is a little too small for me. (Iím used to older film cameras with motor drives attached.) And I thought the drip would give me better balance.

But I realized a few things.

The batter life on my D50 is great.

Changing the battery only take a few seconds

The bet part about a battery grip is the vertical shutter release button. But sense the D50 was not designed for one, the generic grips use an IR remote built in them. This requires that you set the camera for the remote before shooting vertically. Then set it back to shoot horizontally.

All in all I decided these grips where not worth the money for this camera.

My solution to the size issue.

I made a grip out of a block of corrugated cardboard and covered it with a thin sheet of black foam. I attach it by using a longer bolt on my tripods quick release. The quick release is set in the cardboard so the whole thing still sets on a flat surface without rocking.

And yes it covers the battery compartment. But I donít have to completely remove it. Just turn it till itís out of the way. I can change the battery quicker than I can change a lens even if I donít put the lens caps back on.
Thanks.

Yeah I could care less a bout vertical shutter release I just wanted a grip for longer battery life and size.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 2:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Yes because on Amazon.com the sigma 70-300mm DG Macro is $160 and with the APO it's $210. What does APO mean?
There are fancy technical explanations on sigma website, as well as other sites, but I am not a technical guy, nor fancy ... so 3 years ago I googled, to understand what is APO ... and this is my understanding:
APO (Apochromatic) lenses use some kind of special optical designs and elements to get better contrast, sharpness & color correction by minimizing Chomatic aberration, over a comparable non-APO lenses.
I am sure there will be others, in the forum, who can explain it better.

Personally (in Sigma's 70-300 case) I feel it seems to make a noticable difference and I feel it is worth the $40 difference ... I've used both ( Sigma's APO & non-APO 70-300 lenses), don't ask me why as I got cheated by a very close friend (who is no longer "very close" - but a friend nonetheless) into paying APO price for a non APO lens ... it is a looooong story, (from the days when I used to be a bigger idiot), ... a story better reserved for another time and place.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 1:33 PM   #10

Quote:
There are fancy technical explanations on sigma website, as well as other sites, but I am not a technical guy, nor fancy ... so 3 years ago I googled, to understand what is APO ... and this is my understanding:
APO (Apochromatic) lenses use some kind of special optical designs and elements to get better contrast, sharpness & color correction by minimizing Chomatic aberration, over a comparable non-APO lenses.
I am sure there will be others, in the forum, who can explain it better.

Personally (in Sigma's 70-300 case) I feel it seems to make a noticable difference and I feel it is worth the $40 difference ... I've used both ( Sigma's APO & non-APO 70-300 lenses), don't ask me why as I got cheated by a very close friend (who is no longer "very close" - but a friend nonetheless) into paying APO price for a non APO lens ... it is a looooong story, (from the days when I used to be a bigger idiot), ... a story better reserved for another time and place.
Thanks. So I'm probably getting the Nikon 50mm f/1.8 prime lens. Which would be for macro/close ups and portraits of people. I photograph skateboarding too so down the road I'm looking to get a fisheye. My friend just bought an Opteka fisheye for $300. I'm also thinking on getting the 70-300mm sigma lens for telephoto with a long zoom range. I was also thinking. Would I need an 18-55mm? If i had a 70-300mm zoom lens and a 50mm prime lens?