Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Jul 2, 2010, 9:08 PM   #1

Default lens hoods - clip on?

I have been thinking a clip-on hood would be great since I have to take the hood off and put it back on everytime I put the camera in the case.

However, I have only found one in 58MM (Pearstone):

Anyone ever use one before?

Any others out there that I didnt notice?

I know you need a hood somewhat designed for the lens so I dont know if this one will even work or not. I'm just using a Canon S5. And on my upcoming backpacking trip I want something that is quick and easy to use - and I'll be mainly taking full-wide shots (36-432mm eq). Is it wishfull thinking it will shade properly for my application?
mInDtrIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2010, 9:35 PM   #2

What lens do you use? The manufacturer's lens hood is usuanllyhte best bet. Some generic third party lens hoods aren't exactly right for some lenses, and can be ineffective in blocking stray ligh or they can woork too well and cause vignetting.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2010, 11:01 PM   #3

Its just the built-in one (36-432 eq). I have the dedicated canon hood just wanted something quicker to change out, and I dont know if its normal or not but it always gets stuck on the canon uv filter unless I leave it completely loose. And it does vignette at full wide if it has any filter on underneath it. No biggie, just got to zoom a little, but with 36mm at the wide end every bit of width is precious.
Old Jul 3, 2010, 3:59 AM   #4

That's unfortunate, and no one lens hood will be effective on the range of focal lengths your camera has. But if a UV filter interferes with the operation of a lens hood, I'd pick the lens hood over the UV filter.
Old Jul 3, 2010, 4:39 AM   #5

Well I am mainly just concerned with my upcomming trip, and other adventures like it in the mountains, where I am going to be at full wide 95% of the shots. The only filter I'll be using on the trip will be a CP.
Old Jul 3, 2010, 5:26 AM   #6

A Circular Polarizing Filter will cause vignetting at wide angles, so with that plus the lens hood, I think you're all set.
Old Jul 3, 2010, 6:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
A Circular Polarizing Filter will cause vignetting at wide angles, so with that plus the lens hood, I think you're all set.
What about the clip-on one in my first post? Are you saying I should give it a try?

Does anyone know of any more options for clip-on hoods, that was the only one I found.
Old Jul 3, 2010, 8:48 PM   #8

I suggest you remove the UV filter and stick to the dedicated Canon hood you already have.