Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Dec 20, 2003, 12:34 PM   #1

Default Misc Accessories

Greetings, and first thank you all for the information that is available on this forum, it has been very useful.

I am buying the Olympus 5060 to have a camera to grow with and into for nature, landscape, portrait, all around imaging. My husband just bought the Oly C-750UZ which is great, but I want the even more options available on the 5060 (and my own new digital toy). We have had such a good experience with Olympus 35 mm cameras that we decided to make our selection process easier by staying within the Olympus brand. I do have a working knowledge of the digital concept as I work in Photoshop for my job as a web administrator/designer.

That said, I have read about filters that would be useful with this camera, but I cannot seem to find a ready source for filters specifically tagged as being for the Oly 5060. Is this an area where there is some flexibility between different models? Could anyone recommend several basic filters to begin with? I will be buying the CLA7 Conversion Lense Adapter and the TCON17C Telephoto Conversion Lens as my first accessories.

Thank you for any advice you can offer. I look forward to learning a lot through this forum.

Francie
Francie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2003, 11:00 AM   #2
lg

Any of the screw-on filters that fit the threads of your camera will work just fine. It's not necessary to stick to manufacturer brands-- there are many filters out there made by companies that specialize in just filters. Hoya and Cokin, for example, are two brand names that I would trust for any of my filter needs.

While it may be effective in filtering out UV rays, you'd be hard pressed to see much difference in photos taken with and without a UV filter. Many people feel that a UV filter provides additional protection for your camera's lens, and purchase one to protect the surface of their camera's original lens from scratches and debris. I use one on one of my cameras, and don't on the other one.

The filter I have found most useful is a polarizing filter. There are two kinds, linear and circular polarizing. Both will work just fine on your camera-- I'd pick whichever one is cheaper. A polarizing filter is used to remove reflected glare, such as that when shooting through a plate glass window. The effectiveness of it varies greatly depending upon the angle of incidence of the reflected image you are trying to remove. It also allows you to greatly deepen the blue color of the sky, a great effect for landscape images!

I am sure there are many others, but these are the two I have and currently use, and would be a good start for this thread. Get a couple and experiment, and see what you can do!
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2003, 8:38 PM   #3

Thank you for your thorough reply, that was just the type of information I was looking for! I really appreciate the time you took, and I will follow through on your advice.

I visited your website, it is indeed a small world, our son is working on his Eagle Project, and has gone to the Georgia Rattlesnake festival a number of times.

Hope that isn't inappropriate to mention inside the context of the forum, I am totally new to the concept, I think it is great! Pointers on protocol are most welcome.

Francie
Francie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2003, 11:23 AM   #4

lg

It is my understanding that a Linear polarizer will cause trouble with the AF and metering sytsem of most modern cameras.

I know nothing about the Oly 5060 or the Oly 750OUZ, I just wanted to make sure that you knew enough to be sure they don't use a beam splitter to redirect light to the metering system. If they do, I've read it will cause the camera to underexpose the picture by about one stop. I've also read that most modern AF systems won't work with a linear polarizer. I don't know if this applies to both those cameras, but I would fear that it does.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote