Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Nov 24, 2010, 8:22 PM   #11

That's a very good point you make about sling style bags, mtngal... I'm right handed
and prefer to access the bag/pack on my left side so the Lowepro sling style would
probably be best for me... If someone prefers/needs/wants to access the bag/pack
on the right I see that the Tamrac sling style bags/packs swing that way...

Also, if someone uses a camera strap of the "Black Rapid" style those tend to put the
camera on the right hip... This would be in the way with a bag/pack that swings to the
right side, something to keep in mind...
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2010, 11:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-in-toronto View Post
dave, when you say backpack, are you hiking with it? or just going out-in-town? or biking? or car camping? i looked at some videos of the two you mention and the 400 is huge! the versapack didn't seem too well setup. the video i watched showed how hard it was to access the equipment in it.

have you looked at a slingback? you can use them just standing up. i don't really like putting my bag down on the grass or dirt so this suits me. also, when biking, i can just stand over the top tube and get my camera out or change lenses.

mine is the lowepro 100 model. i may get a bigger one for more extended outings but this carries my slr, 2 lenses and my flash. also i can stuff a p&s with a tiny tripod in one of the pockets. here's the sales pitch but it explains things well. i don't see any negatives to the bag anyway.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKL-4...eature=related

the backpack would be used for every day use. like as you said just going out, around the town, travel.
i use to own the lowepro sling shot 100 but found the single strap uncomfortable, so i gave it to my daughter who also gave it away, for the same reason.
i went with the flipsides as they are backpacks and liked the feature of rear opening. my first was the 200, which i out grew ( not for the ammount of equipment but the actual size of my gear ). so i got the 300 everything fitted ok but the grip on the camera pushed the limits of the depth of the bag, and i could have felt a slight poke in my back from it. so i got the 400, now everything fits well but it is too big for around the town /just going out.

my usual gear is
Nikon d300s with grip, 18-200, 35, 900 flash
or
Nikon d300s with grip, 17-55, 70-300, 900 flash

What i like so far is the Crumpler The New Karachi Outpost Backpack, Small
it is also rear opening
compared to the lowepro flipside 300 externally, it is about the same size but a little deeper to accomodate the grip , but have never saw one so i dont know the quality, but

Dave
T&T
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 7:22 AM   #13

Ok. some of you will laugh, but when i am just walking around a little in a city, I carry my stuff in a soft-sided cooler bag. I like it that when i put everything away, i look like a guy who likes food. not a rich camera guy. i may put a small cloth or a few paper towels between the camera and the spare lens. i put the flash in a big plastic bag so that's cushioned all by itself. there. now you know.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 11:58 AM   #14

some times i go out to just take a little walk around a city and end up spending hours out there, and because i thought i was only going out for a short time i ended up packing a shouldel bag and after the hours pass i start regretting a shoulder bag.
i really like the idea of a rear opening backpack.
some time a back i was using the slingshot 100 to a football game with my daughter and while we were walking thru the crowd to enter the venue, my daughter put her wallet and cell phone into the bag while i was wearing it and i had no clue when she did that.
so i am on the quest for help
shoulder bags are accessable but a pain in the shoulder
sling bags are not for me
rear opening backpack sounds good but i want the smallest that would hold a DSLR with grip

just came accross this one, Think Tank Glass Taxi. its a shoulder and backpack in one

Dave
T&T

Last edited by dafiryde; Nov 25, 2010 at 8:40 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 10:05 PM   #15

What I'm starting to feel, in my particualr circumstance, is that I probably need two
bags... A large sholder bag that will carry just about everything and acts sort of like
a "Mother Ship" and then a second smaller (maybe sling?) bag that I equip a'la'carte
with what I would need for the moment...
Old Nov 29, 2010, 4:15 PM   #16

This looks interesting...

KATA 3 in 1 bag

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL3Tv...eature=related

It's a left OR right hand sling and a backpack in one...

I kind of like the 3 in 1 33 as it's made to carry a laptop as big as mine... Need to
find someplace where I can see some of these bags in person...
Old Dec 6, 2010, 6:30 PM   #17

i recieved my crumpler today and here is a copy of my amazon review
All my life i had Lowepro, the flipsides 200, then the 300 and finally got the 400 aw, and realised this bag is huge for everyday use.
i always wanted a small backpack to use with a gripped camera. i loved the idea of rear opening and leaving on the waist strap, swinging the bag around you and accessing everyhing that you need.
then i got the Crumpler The New Karachi Outpost Backpack, Small, same height as the 100, same width as the 300 , same depth as the 400. all the dimensions i was looking for, with the shape of the lowepro versapack. a true backpack look, not that square boxy thingy.

Positives
- small and exactly the inner dimensions i was looking for
- YES this bag can be used just like the lowepro flipsides by attaching the waist strap and swinging the bag around for accessing, where the crumpler came out better is that the lowepro main fault in this design was that you had to load the camera and lens on top, and by having the heaviest weight on the outermost part of the bag it sagged very uncomonfortable when opened and when the bag was closed and camera in place you had the heaviest weight on top your back. where as the crumpler stores the camera in the lower section, and when the bag is opened there is very little movement, and when camera is in the bag the weight is at the lower section of your back whick makes it a lot more comfortable.
- the small outer side pockets are big enough to put 20 oz water bottles, a big plus for me.

Negatives
- straps a little to padded for my taste,
- laptop sleeve is of no use to me, puts a lot of extra bulk on the depth of the bag, so i opened the stiching and removed the padding in that sleeve, now it does not add to the depth of the bag, but at least i still have it in place to store something when the time arrises.

What fits
Nikon d300s with grip, 900 flash, 17-55, 70-300, accessories
or
Nikon d300s with grip, 900 flash, 18-200, 35, accessories

FWIW its not as comfortable as the versapack

Dave
T&T

Last edited by dafiryde; Dec 7, 2010 at 3:54 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 4:23 AM   #18

I almost ordered a Tamrac 5256 for camera and laptop for travel. I came across the Caselogic SLRC-206 SLR Camera and 15.4-Inch Laptop Backpack. Anyone have comments for this?
paniolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2011, 7:01 PM   #19

well i finally got the solution to my worst delima.
taking for granted that only Domke makes great camera bags, especially the F3X, i removed the main strap and replaced it with the Domke backpack strap. low and behold that was it. my favourite camera bag, that is easy to work out of, became super comfortable. an in a milisecond converts to a shoulder bag for easy convience, and in another milisecond is back as a backpack.

Dave
T&T