Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Feb 2, 2011, 10:56 PM   #1

Default Looking For Another Bag.

Anyone use the Tamrac Evolution 6 model 5786 camera bag? I like the idea of being able to use the bag as a backpack or sling bag but wonder how well it really works.
http://www.tamrac.com/f_evolution.htm
Old Feb 3, 2011, 1:10 AM   #2

It looked nice at the store, but a bit to boxy for my taste. It was well designed.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 2:03 AM   #3

Just not sure how comfortable a bag that can be both a right and left hand sling as well as a backpack will be to wear for long periods of time. Hoping someone on the forum might already have one and give their option about the bag.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 7:54 AM   #4

I'm in the market for one of these bags myself. Can't make up my mind between the 6 or the larger 8. Want to carry a Nikon D7000 with a 12-24mm wide angle attached & 2 or 3 other lenses plus a flash, memory cards, spare battery, tripod & a little more. Anyone out there have one of these bags. I'd prefer the 6 as its smaller so easier to carry.

Last edited by Cobralust; Feb 3, 2011 at 8:03 AM.
Cobralust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2011, 10:21 PM   #5

If my experience with the Kata 3N1 is any indication, the straps are reasonably comfortable as long as you don't overload the bag. I'm thinking of the Evolution 6 - it's small enough that I won't be able to carry the kitchen sink in it. But then, I also probably won't be able to carry the lens I bought that caused me to buy the Kata 3N1-30, a huge cavernous bag, in the first place. How much equipment are you planning on putting in it?

If you decide to get one, let us know how you like it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2011, 12:17 PM   #6

What to put in the bag? Looking to carry the 40D, 24-105 lens, 10-22 lens, 50 lens, two filters, 580 ex II flash, batteries for camera and flash, instruction book for camera and flash (can't remember anything now days). See how this just keeps getting bigger and bigger, that's why I'm looking for just a day bag that will limit the stuff being carried around. Just looking for something to carry around while on vacations, not the whole studio.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 5:44 PM   #7

Yeah bags have a nasty habit of shrinking after you buy one.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 5:53 PM   #8

I don't know how big your 10-22 lens is but I wouldn't think it would be very long. The Evolution series looked to me to be about the same size as the Lowepro Slingshot 100 and 200 bags, and diameter of the the lenses wasn't an issue, just length (a 70-200 f2.8 would most likely be too long, my 300 f4 is too long). Camera with lens mounted in the center, 2 lenses on one side of it, flash on the other, batteries, instruction book etc. in the top section. Not sure about the flash though - I don't think mine fits in the lower part of the Slingshot, I've always carried it on top because I've always got the bottom filled with lenses. Rocket blower perhaps beside the flash. I can't remember now if both Evolution models had it, but at least one of them has a little pocket for a tripod leg, so you can mount one on the outside of the case. It would be carried the same place Kata has for their optional tripod carrier and its balanced. Carrying a tripod on one side makes the bag much more uncomfortable (tried that with the Slingshot, didn't work well).

Keep talking and you'll talk ME into buying one, instead of a slightly larger shoulder bag (one that does NOT have any more cubby holes for lenses though)!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2011, 7:32 PM   #9

Just had a chance to look hands on at the EV6 bag and it's the one I'm going to buy for myself. The EV6 is the same size as the Lowepro 200 but the EV6 holds more as it just seems to have a better setup. Now all I have to do is take the Lowepro 200 and 100 (wife's bag) back and order the EV6's.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 11:53 AM   #10

Ended up going to a backpack the Tamrac Expedition 6x. Very comforable & adjustable with plenty of room for all my stuff. Can mount pouches on outside of bag for lenses so I don't have to take off the pack to change lenses. Very satisfied with it.