Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Jun 4, 2011, 10:05 PM   #1

Default Disc Storage Units

Not sure if this goes here or under another heading. If it needs moved please have a moderator put it where it belongs....

I know this was discussed a while back but want to open the discussion again and see what idea and system you are all using..... looking for info and ideas from those who have over 200 photo DVDs in their archive.......

I am what I would call a high volume shooter (maybe not on the league of a sport illustrated photographer but a lot more than your average shooter). I've gotten to a point that late last year I added a blue-ray burner to the arsenal in order to cut down on mumber of discs needed to storage large projects.........

Currently I am using a 4 drawer Vaultz DVD storage unit with the discs stored in Sleeve Citys Anti Static CD/DVD Sleeves. But the unit is slowly filling up and I am looking to the future as to what to purchase next. I am trying to keep the number of discs down by using DVDs, Dual Layer DVDs and Blue-Ray discs when data for a photo project warrants (and combining light photo shots to the same disc to fill up a disc). I might also add that I am only 37 years old (and have been shooting digitally since late 2000), so I have many more years of photo shooting ahead. Also I like the idea of using the thin sleeves vs jewel cases for storing my discs because it allows more disc storage in same footprint and also since most often the discs are backups to my hard drives and only get pulled when I am adding additional data to the discs.

What I am really looking for and have not found it yet is a large chest of drawers type furniture piece that would have drawers either with multi tracks built in to store discs 4 or 5 rows wide or multi single width wide drawers. With drawers stacked 4 or 5 high like a chest drawers you'd store clothes in. Something I could store in the basement of my house away from my computer where I have the space for such a unit...... However I have yet to find anything even close. Also something that would fit under a standard double bed foot print (with slide out drawers that would cover 80% or more of the floor space).

So what are you using for your disc storage and what recommendations would you have for someone who is a high volume shooting in it for the long haul....... I am guessing at this point my best option would be to get another 4 drawer vaultz unit?

The best option I heard before was to use empty spindles to store the discs.......

Thanks in advance

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2011, 6:45 AM   #2

Have you considered using USB drives instead of DVD/Blu-Ray disks? I now use a 1 terabyte USB drive as my primary backup and a 250 gigabyte drive as secondary backup. A lot cheaper per megabyte than DVD/Blu-Ray media!
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2011, 7:58 PM   #3

I back up to both disc media AND hard drives that way if one medium fails I have the other to fall back on......

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote