Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Sep 7, 2002, 1:28 PM   #11

I would guess that the advice against the hood and a filter is that you may experience the "vignette" effect, which is dark corners from the accessories. (Close one eye and you will notice your nose is "in the way") A polarizer is about twice the thickness of other filters, since there are two rings, so the effect is worse. This would only be a problem at the wide angle end of the zoom. The solutions are numerous, and everyone has a favorite. The most common two are switching to Cokin P holder and filters, or using a step up ring and a larger filter, and a screw in rubber lens hood on the filter.
Skiola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2002, 2:53 PM   #12

If there is a problem then yes.. step up to bigger sounds like a common sense idea
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2002, 1:39 AM   #13

The only reason a lens hood would not work with a polarizer is if the hood mounts AROUND the lens ... as iyt does on some cameras that have the accessories on a tube!
Steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2002, 4:31 AM   #14

Well I got the rubber lens hood 49mm and sat it on the uv filter and sure enough it suffered a bad case of vignette.

I have a 49-55 stepup ring for the b300 so I guess I should have gone for a 55mm hood.. ho well ya live and learn ..
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote