Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Jun 11, 2002, 4:30 PM   #1

Default When to use a lens hood?

While waiting for the Canon D 60 I bought a 28-135 IS lens, a lens hood and a polarizing/81A filter (that will warm up skin tones) since I do alot of candid, ambient light portrait shooting when I travel. I have never used a lens hood on my film 35mm SLRs. The maunual says not to use the hood with any filter on the lens. Yet if the hood is to reduce lens flare in bright conditions, wouldn't I be using it in the same conditions I'd want to be using my polarizing filter? Do I need the hood for any reason? Or should I just skip it?
Barbados is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2002, 8:04 PM   #2

Default E-10 Lens Hood

The E-10 is supplied with a lens hood. When shooting in any environment in which stray light can strike the lens I have it constantly mounted along with a B&W circular polarizer. I understand that it will not only reduce the incidence of flare but also improve contrast most conditions. I've been told by some pros that it is one of the most important accessories that you are likely to have in your kit.
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2002, 6:29 AM   #3

Default Use the hood whenever you can

I have the same camera and also the 28-135. I keep a UV filter on the lens, and use a polarizer or graduated neutral density filter at times. The lens hood makes it difficult to rotate the polarizer and nd filter, and it's impossible to add or remove filters with the hood on. However, the hood keeps dust off the lens, and I have occasionally bumped the hood against objects. Better the hood than the lens. By the way, I love the camera and use that lens as my everyday lens. The IS saves my neck every time.
WalterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2002, 6:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally posted by garry
The E-10 is supplied with a lens hood. When shooting in any environment in which stray light can strike the lens I have it constantly mounted along with a B&W circular polarizer. I understand that it will not only reduce the incidence of flare but also improve contrast most conditions. I've been told by some pros that it is one of the most important accessories that you are likely to have in your kit.
by all means.......use the hood
Jim C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2002, 10:14 AM   #5

Default Question restated

The manual that came with the Canon lens said not to use a polarizing filter PLUS the lens hood. Yet I want the blue skies to pop, plus I want tp protect the lens from salt spray, dust etc. Any time I'm shooting in conditions that would be appropriate to use the lens hood, they are situations that I want the polarizing filter. Why should the two NOT be used together (per Canon), and how does one decide which to give preference to? So far I haven't used the hood, and I haven't seen any lens flare or stray light on the shots (I use a Canon D 60). Any thoughts?
Barbados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2002, 10:25 PM   #6

I don't know about the Canon statement , but with my 35 SLR 28-200 zoom, I always use a thick rubber hood , even indoor , just to protect from bumps . It saved my lens several times . ( just choose one big enough to avoid vigneting )
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2002, 9:21 AM   #7

You should have the lenshood attach to your lens at all times, sun, rain or snow. I never take any lens outside the house without a lens hood attach to it. Not just the lens hood, on any sunny day, whenever I can, I would as my helper with an umbrella to cover my camera and lens when taking picture with back lit subject, because the lens hood will not always proctect you against flare, in some positions. Cheers

[Edited on 8-21-2002 by [email protected]]
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2002, 4:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally posted by Barbados
The manual that came with the Canon lens said not to use a polarizing filter PLUS the lens hood. Yet I want the blue skies to pop, plus I want tp protect the lens from salt spray, dust etc. Any time I'm shooting in conditions that would be appropriate to use the lens hood, they are situations that I want the polarizing filter. Why should the two NOT be used together (per Canon), and how does one decide which to give preference to? So far I haven't used the hood, and I haven't seen any lens flare or stray light on the shots (I use a Canon D 60). Any thoughts?
YES you can use the lens hood and a Polarizer together.....it just makes it difficult to turn the Polarizer.
check out my Yosemite shots in the "Landscape Forum", These were all taken with a Lens Hood attached & a Circular Polarizer.
I would recommend that you use a UV Filter instead of a Polarizer in adverse conditions such as salt spray & blowing sand, etc.
Jim C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2002, 5:43 AM   #9

I have an Oly c2100uz with UV and Polarizer filters (polarizer to arrive yet)permanant. I was thinking of getting a lens hood.

Can I have the lens hood on permanant with the two filters on this camera? is that a problem or?
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2002, 1:05 PM   #10

Default Lens Hood + Polarizer

Barbados...

The only reason not to use the lenshood and the polarizer together is that if you have human-size fingers, there will be no way to adjust the poloarizer while the lenshood is on.

I have tried, and all I do is get fingerprints on the filter, or loosen the lenshood.
WalterK is offline   Reply With Quote