Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Jun 18, 2011, 8:19 PM   #1

Default Camera - Laptop Bags/backpacks

I am in need of an airline approved (size wise) camera bag that will also hold a laptop. I plan to carry it as a second carry-on with the first being a small suitecase that fits in the overhead bin of the plane. I started to look on line but quickly became overwhelmed with the choices etc. Especially since I am not sure what will bets hold my gear. Thought those of you who travel on planes more often than I do may be of some help to me. If it helps I am using a lowpro NOW AW3 at this point (the AW160 is its replacement) shoulder camera bag. The bag I currently use also holds an Olympus SW1050 and a hot shoe flash plus a small memo book (items which I won't need on my trip).

needs to carry a 14.1 laptop and power cord

needs to carry a Fuji HS20
3 sets of extra AAs in plastic cases
Small energizer AA battery charger
hard shell memory card holder
lens hood (not attached to the camera - doesn't really stay threaded)
lens cleaning cloth

Also would be a plus if it could hold airline tickets, itinerary and my cell phone

Any and all thoughts appreciated. No one in my local area has a good selection of bags that hold both laptop and camera gear (thought about going out and trying some to see how they work) so most likely will need to order on line.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:11 PM   #2

looked around in town today without any luck at all. So its gonna have to be an internet order. Any ideas.

Any help appreciated

dave
Old Jun 21, 2011, 2:14 PM   #3

The backpack bags I've looked at that are big enough for a laptop would hold a huge amount of photo gear - much more than what you will be carrying. I think I'd start looking at the messenger type bags that are big enough to carry a laptop. They will still most likely be over-kill on the photo side for you, but I would think they would work well under an airline seat.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2011, 2:03 PM   #4

Great idea......... thanks for the idea and reply. I will check into that

dave
Old Jun 29, 2011, 4:48 AM   #5

I use a lowepro fast pack 250 it hold a 550d/t2i a 55-250is, 50 1.8 nissin di622 flash assorted cables card reader flash diffuser cleaning cloths no liquids spare cards ipod, has a seperate laptop compartment. It goes nicely in the overhead. Comfortable to carry
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2011, 1:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave01 View Post
I use a lowepro fast pack 250 it hold a 550d/t2i a 55-250is, 50 1.8 nissin di622 flash assorted cables card reader flash diffuser cleaning cloths no liquids spare cards ipod, has a seperate laptop compartment. It goes nicely in the overhead. Comfortable to carry
Are you able to carry another small carry-on suit case with this bag or does this bag count as you carry-on? I have another lowe pro bag that I love and this one looks like a winner to me. Thanks for the info. If I know I can put this under my seat we have a winner? especially since you saveits comfortable to crry and i will have to lug it through Atlanta airport which is HUGE!!!!!!!

dave
Old Aug 10, 2011, 3:06 PM   #7

I was in the same situation and spent a lot of time looking at camera bags. On a previous trip I managed to stuff my 17" laptop and DSLR (Nikon D3000) into my backback. Everything fit but it was very heavy to carry in the airport.

I realized that what I really wanted was a rolling bag that would carry my laptop and DSLR. Stopped at Marshall's and found a Samsonite wheeled laptop bag that is perfect. It has a narrow section that fits the laptop like a glove, and an enormous back compartment that holds DSLR and other gear. I'll try to find the model number and post later.

Here's the model number: Samsonite 47232-1758. Royal Blue Business Case Wheeled. I could not find it with a Google search. Maybe it's a bag Samsonite made a few years ago, and then Marshall's got it as an overstock.
The label inside says:
Samsonite

Has three compartments:
1. Narrow compartment in front for pens/pencils/business cards
2. Middle compartment for laptop. 17"x12"x2"
3. Back compartment. 17"x12"x5"

Last edited by zstringer; Aug 12, 2011 at 2:03 PM.
zstringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2011, 4:25 PM   #8

Thanks for the info but I already bought s backpack and made the trip. But the info may be helpful to someone else so please please post it.

dave
Old Aug 30, 2011, 2:11 AM   #9

I have the same situation. My work will require me to travel. Which bag did you buy? I was looking at the lowepro 350. Is this too big for carry on?
raylee011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2011, 5:18 AM   #10

I think you have to check wih the airline on size that they let you carry on, it also depends on weight with some too.
I also observe people who carry on IMHO really ott bags and get away with it. I know if I tried it my gear would be put in the hold.
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote