Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Oct 26, 2011, 5:48 PM   #1

Default Slide copier for pocket cameras?

I'm looking for a slide copier for my Panasonic DMC-ZS10 camera. So far, the best technique seems to be to lay the slides on a light table and use the camera's macro mode to copy the slides. The results are fair but I'm sure I could do a better job if I had something to ensure that the slides are held firmly and squarely with respect to the lens.

Because it is a pocket camera and doesn't have filter threads or a removable lens, none of the commercial rigs I've seen will fit. I could make a copier from a piece of pipe or tubing but I was hoping for something a little more sophisticated.

Any suggestions?

Jeremy
jeremynichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2011, 2:35 PM   #2

G'ay Jeremy

I Like the idea mate - well done

You say you have a light table - I presume that its brightness & light colour can be accommodated okay ... so maybe
~ if you were to set up 2 cardboard 'guides' or train-track-style rails so that slides can be pushed thru the guides ... thickness a tiny bit more than the slides
~ if you cut / create a tube about the diameter of the slide diagonal and macro distance in length
~ if that tube then sits vertically on the rails with the camera above it [blu-tak or something to keep camera & tube together]

you may have a 'design' for sliding slides [ !! ] thru the guide rails while keeping focus & exposure under control

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2011, 8:15 AM   #3

I have a friend who in 2010 scanned all of his old slides to digital format and at first tired to use his camera to do the job but the images were not what he had hoped for it terms of quality etc. So he used this device

http://secure.serverlab.net/shop/mer...re_Code=T00107

I am not sure how many slides your trying to copy but he was looking at close to 500 slides and said this device made it pretty easy to get very good results (although it takes time to load and unload the tray.

Hope this helps

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2011, 11:03 AM   #4

Default Slide scanner

Dave, we have such a device. It's fine for working at home but I was looking for something that could live in my camera kit and so be useful on the road (visiting relatives, etc.).

Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo 5 View Post
I have a friend who in 2010 scanned all of his old slides to digital format and at first tired to use his camera to do the job but the images were not what he had hoped for it terms of quality etc. So he used this device

http://secure.serverlab.net/shop/mer...re_Code=T00107

I am not sure how many slides your trying to copy but he was looking at close to 500 slides and said this device made it pretty easy to get very good results (although it takes time to load and unload the tray.

Hope this helps

dave
jeremynichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2011, 2:55 PM   #5

G'day P5

Thx for the link to the other slide-copy device ... I hopped over & had a sqwiz
It seems to be a slight improved model from the earlier 5mpx jobs I have used / tested previously > so it could be better too

Here's a test shot from a previous slide copier to compare - if you are able to test the 'new one' - showing light coverage across the field-of-view
This shot was done after 50 slides had been processed - each slide cleaned before insertion into the copier [but dust still gets in] and the copier cleaned via the maker-provided sensor-cleaning wand

Hope this helps a bit
Regards, Phil
Old Oct 28, 2011, 6:10 PM   #6

I think the real question is whether you're scanning for archival purposes or just for fun. For archival, you may want to outsource to a professional scanning company (probably one that scans in the U.S.) and I'd definitely look for one that only makes you pay for the scans you keep (i.e. no minimums and no deletion cap) since it's hard to tell what's on slides in the first place.

Good luck!
slidescans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2011, 11:20 PM   #7

Phil my friend who I checked with tonight said he had to clean the device as well, every 75 slides because of slight dust. He scanned 611 total slides in 2010 using the 8MP device (doing about 30 at a time). He said he was getting files that were 2.7 to 3MB each when saved to his hard drive.

dave
Old Oct 29, 2011, 2:33 PM   #8

G'day P5

Thx for your response ~ year or two back I took on the family task of reviewing my recently deceased father's slide collection for those of interest to us children. I reviewed around 5000 slides & 1000 prints ~ and copied about 10% of his images onto CD for distribution to my siblings + grandchildren ... about 2-dozen in all copies

Commercial 'offerings' for hi-quality scanning were at about $1/image; offered 12mpx per image, + DVDs etc etc ... and it became uneconomic for this home-based project

The device I purchased cost $150+/-, was replaced twice as the IQ was not up to par, then another device was tried [now the 4th] and it was used. ALthough it did the job here, I would not use it for my slides if/when I will do the slide copying of my old slide collection

Each slide prior to being copied was physically brushed with a soft camel-hair brush then air-blasted with a 'squirter' device before being inserted into the copier - which took 3 slides into its carrier each sweep of the device

The copy software would take 12 images before being transferred into the computer, and at this stage I was viewing the images ... often with some concerns as to quality &/or dust that had crept into the copier device

As is [often] the way of families, having done this task and distributed the CDs to siblings + hangers-on, none has ever asked me about how they were scanned, or commented about the images themselves ~ almost as tho it has gone into the 'archives' for sometime in the future. :-p

Regards, Phil
Old Oct 29, 2011, 9:57 PM   #9

Last fall I took on the task of copying all of the grandparents photo collection. Both of them had been taking to assisted living facilities and when cleaning out their house the Aunt found 3 shoe boxes of film printed photos. I was asked since I am the most computer literate in the family if I could scan them all to a DVD that could be given to all the family members. I scanned each photo at 600dpi on my HP flat bed scanner and had to color correct about 1/3 of them as I went. The real task wasn't the scanning but titling them as I went, trying to figure out who was who in the pictures etc. All 900 or so photos fit on one DVD and I received many comments from family members about how much they enjoyed seeing the old photos even if they weren't all in the best shape. Luckily they didn;t have any slides I needed to scan, all 4x6, 5x7 and some 8 1/2 by 11 prints.

dave