Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Apr 9, 2012, 12:28 PM   #1

Default Holster Bags ,are they bad for cameras??

Hi' I thinking of getting a Holster type bag. I have an old one that my gear is too big for but it had two Velcro supports that went either side of the lens supporting the body therefore taking weight off the lens.
The ones I am looking at ie Lowepro Toploader Zoom 55 AW doesnt have any body supports.
So my question is does anyone know whether having a camera stood up on end on its lens with or without the hood fitted does any harm.? Or am I being paranoid. I know there are some outthere that do have supports but they are not the size I'm looking for.I want an all weather cover plus a tripod strap on the side.Also room for my small flash.
Sb400 flash
Eveone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:10 AM   #2

Having the camera lens down in the bag shouldn't be a problem as long as you try to have the bag hold the body and leave the lens free floating to avoid compression damage if the bag is bumped from the bottom. I also keep the hood over the end of the lens in the bag but never snap it on to avoid stressing the mounting ring unduly.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 5:07 PM   #3

i use one all the time, i dont take any special precausions and ive never had any problems.
Dave
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:06 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies.
I have hunted one down that has all the features I need (Mrock 652 Sierra) but it weighs 807g = 1.3/4 lbs, Mrock show it as 15 ozs but two retailers show it at at 807 gms. So I phoned one of them up to find out what they really weigh and he came back to me, after putting it onto a kitchen scale with 805 gms= 28.1/2ozs.(phew!!) admittedly 6.1/2ozs are the shoulder straps.That to me makes it a heavy old load, with my camera + lens coming in at 2lbs plus, then I've got the flash and small tripod.
My current bag weighs in at 13 ozs(it looks like a large hand bag) and takes all I need, so I guess I'll stay with it.
I just fancied a more portable "get at camera quick holster " as mine is a shoulder bag.
Sb400 flash
Eveone is offline   Reply With Quote