Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Oct 3, 2012, 9:56 AM   #1

Default Bag Problem

Like most people who post here, I have several bags but none of them seem really what I need.

I used to be able to get away with a Crumpler 5 million dollar home for my 50D + one lens and extra battery/flash if I was also going to carry around a handbag (I think Americans refer to this item as a purse but I'm open to correction on that).

If I've been going out for a day, doing pretty much nothing else except taking photos, I used a Lowepro sling (?? 200) into which I managed to fit my glasses, wallet and house keys and not much else.

Things were going semi-OK until various people started telling me I should really have a hood on my lenses all the time. Fine, except that the camera + lens and one other lens no longer fit into either bag because of the extra room required for the hoods, even though I generally take no more than one lens in addition to the one on the camera.

I'd really love to be able to fit my camera plus lenses (plus hoods, battery, flash) as well as my other stuff (iPhone, wallet, keys, glasses, sunglasses and other small bits and bobs) into one bag. I don't want one that is so huge it's a burden to carry but I also don't want to go back down the camera bag + handbag (?? purse).

So, I've come here for help and suggestions. Oh, and I live in Australia, so I may end up having to order online so I want to make sure I don't make half a dozen expensive mistakes before I find the right bag.

Thank you.
junipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 3, 2012, 5:30 PM   #2

G'day Junipa

Many years ago I went thru the same sort of dilemma - a "camera" bag for slr 2x bodies + lenses + filters plus rubbish

The camera shops only had traditional camera bags - none of which really appealed as a) they screamed $$$ equipment inside,and b) they were more expensive than I was prepared to pay at the time [1x pay packet - mortgage + 3x children etc etc]

I spent time meandering thru the large & small shopping centres looking at the 'suitcase & carry bag shops' for things that could be utilised & at a price I could afford. At the time I was looking for one of those aluminium, solid-sided cases with rubber inserts - and ended up with a lawn-bowls case with plywood frame and plywood base

It was strong enough for me to put it on edge & stand on so that on occasions I could be head-and-shoulders above the crowd around me ~ best of all it only cost half the so-called camera case and lasted for 20 years

These days I use a much smaller, over-the-shoulder case that takes 1x large camera + a couple of filters + a small torch + a few extras. Bought it at a similar sort of shop and paid $40 ~ it does not scream '$$ camera' and has no large-lettered brand name on its outer face

Hope this gives you an idea or two
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2012, 10:14 PM   #3

Hi Junipa

I had the same problem reg. bags, always on the lookout, because I like to carry so little as possible, but still need to have mobile phone, money, keys,and perhaps a extra lens,etc. with me, but just recently I bought the " Black Rapid " strap ( you can get it at Ted's ) so my camera is always ready, hanging on my hip, with less shoulder strain, and for all the other stuff I use just a bum bag......

Regards,
Griddi........
Griddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2012, 6:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
G'day Junipa

Many years ago I went thru the same sort of dilemma - a "camera" bag for slr 2x bodies + lenses + filters plus rubbish

The camera shops only had traditional camera bags - none of which really appealed as a) they screamed $$$ equipment inside,and b) they were more expensive than I was prepared to pay at the time [1x pay packet - mortgage + 3x children etc etc]

I spent time meandering thru the large & small shopping centres looking at the 'suitcase & carry bag shops' for things that could be utilised & at a price I could afford. At the time I was looking for one of those aluminium, solid-sided cases with rubber inserts - and ended up with a lawn-bowls case with plywood frame and plywood base

It was strong enough for me to put it on edge & stand on so that on occasions I could be head-and-shoulders above the crowd around me ~ best of all it only cost half the so-called camera case and lasted for 20 years

These days I use a much smaller, over-the-shoulder case that takes 1x large camera + a couple of filters + a small torch + a few extras. Bought it at a similar sort of shop and paid $40 ~ it does not scream '$$ camera' and has no large-lettered brand name on its outer face

Hope this gives you an idea or two
Regards, Phil
Thanks Phil. I've looked around at ways I may be able to use a non-photographic bag for my stuff but I've never been able to find anything which is padded enough for protection. I've seen canvas bags in disposal stores which might fit the bill but they don't have the extra pockets I need for my other day-to-day stuff.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 6:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griddi View Post
Hi Junipa

I had the same problem reg. bags, always on the lookout, because I like to carry so little as possible, but still need to have mobile phone, money, keys,and perhaps a extra lens,etc. with me, but just recently I bought the " Black Rapid " strap ( you can get it at Ted's ) so my camera is always ready, hanging on my hip, with less shoulder strain, and for all the other stuff I use just a bum bag......

Regards,
Griddi........
Thanks Griddi. I saw someone in Town the other day with something which looks like it might be what you have. Not sure I'd be able to fit an extra lens + plus my other stuff in a bum bag but I'll look around and see what I can find. I really want to be able to ditch the handbag when I go out taking photos but I still need some way to carry the bits and pieces (keys, phone, tissues, sunscreen ... the list goes on and on )
Old Nov 3, 2012, 11:28 AM   #6

Just as a matter of interest I like most I guess have always been on the lookout for the perfect bag.
Spotted a good one made by a company called http://www.m-rock.com/ its a USA Co but I found a UK supplier.
I nearly ordered one but found that the weight given on the web site is/was wrong because I got the supplier to weigh it for me and it came out nearly twice as heavy.
So I never ordered because a holster type bag weighing almost 2lbs was too much extra for me.Well designed bags though, have a look.
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Beike carbon 4 section tripod/monopod
Gorillapod SLR Zoom + BH1 ball head
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:30 PM   #7

http://www.kata-bags.us/access-18-pl...lens-lens-lens

I put my 70-200 lens on the camera. I can fit a shorter lens in one side pocket, and a flash in the other side pocket.

You could put most of the personal items it in and skip the flash.
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 8:05 AM   #8

One thing I must have in a holster bag is adjustable body supports because I don't like the idea of my lens/lens hood taking the weight of the body.I cant see any mention of these.
It would appear that if you have a largish lens in a side pocket that might give a bit of body weight support.
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Beike carbon 4 section tripod/monopod
Gorillapod SLR Zoom + BH1 ball head
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:17 PM   #9

You could put most of the personal items it in and skip the flash.
luckylucki is offline   Reply With Quote