Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Mar 2, 2004, 3:37 PM   #1

Default What can be achieved using some home amde lighting??

I am as usual the curious sort and was wondering if I purchase some standing lights with a swivel head, use some energy efficient white lights, and make a home made diffuser, would i get sufficient results?

I am just wondering here as I may want to be able to do head shots, for portraits and maybe passports, but with my currency being what it is, a lighting system that may cost you guys in the US $350, costs me $1000. This is a large chunk of my salary here which i would prefer to keep in my bank account until it makes economic sense to go big.

So could this work?

D
dudlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2004, 7:11 PM   #2

It might. I'm no expert, here are some things that came to mind.

Make sure that all the light bulbs are the same. If not, you'll get cross color casts from the different light sources. That is a headache you don't want to get any where near.

Also realize that it will take a lot of light. The camera is not nearly as sensitive to light as your eye is, so when you think the light is ok, it probably isn't.

Watch out for flicker from the blubs. Some blubs have a built in flicker to them that is really fast... but the camera will pick up on it. Halogen bulbs do this (I think) but I believe others do too.

Watch out for heat. You don't want to place the lights too close, so you'll need LOTS of it to cover the distance. You'll also want stands to give you more flexability as to where to put the lights. And you'll need lights from multiple sides to remove shadows (unless you are trying to create them, that is.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2004, 8:33 PM   #3

Hi.

Thanks Eric. I will do such. I am planning on using something like this. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...rden&n=1063294

or this: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...rden&n=1063294

multiples of these are what I have in mind.

Do you think that these could work?

D
Old Mar 2, 2004, 9:24 PM   #4

You need to check the wattage ,the more the better, because you can allways difuse if you have to much. I have two sets one 150w Modeling lamp 400w flash. And 300 Modeling lamp and 600w flash.And what the heck they are cheap... and may work fine . Good luck..
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2004, 10:33 PM   #5

the first ones you linked to looked better (looked like they could swivel better....)

i'm not really sure about this stuff either ....but if you get a couple of those...it should work

but like eric said.....the lightbulbs should be the same (company and model i'd think)
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2004, 11:29 PM   #6

If the first lamp is the same as the Torchiere that I have, it's a halogen. It will have a color cast (which if consistant, you can get around with a custom white balance) and maybe a 60 hz flicker to it. If I'm right (I'm hoping other will step up and say if I am or not) then you don't want that light because of the flicker.

The second one looks to take a standard bulb. I don't know if it's as flexable and it certainly isn't as powerful. But shouldn't flicker, and that is a good thing.

I believe that NHL (another person on this forum) knows a bit about studio lighting. You might want to send him a private message with a link to this thread. He might be able to help.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2004, 10:33 AM   #7

Thanks again guys. I will see if I can contact NHL and here what he has to say on the subject

D