Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Mar 10, 2004, 9:41 PM   #1

Default Cokin Circular Polarizing Filters

Suck... If i could string all the explitives that come to mind with these horrible little boogers Steve would ban me for life from here....

My daughter grabbed my hoya and tried to color it with a a few crayons.. needless to say I was less then pleased but only had myself to blame for leaving it on the offee table.... Couldnt get the thing to clear up no matter what combination of cleaners , cloths, lens pens i used... So on my way out to get some sunset photo's on the river front tonight I stop at Best Buy and grab one 29$ Cokin.... rather then going to Ritz or any other shop w/Hoya or Tiffen.

One word: Crap ... Simply, Completely, Totally Crap...

Avoid the CPF and Im guessing their filters as well by the look and feel ... garbage, crap, waste, fecal matter...

Not that Im bitter... Rant over
mrkryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2004, 10:14 PM   #2

Default Re: Cokin Circular Polarizing Filters

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkryz
****... If i could string all the explitives that come to mind with these horrible little boogers Steve would ban me for life from here....

One word: Crap ... Simply, Completely, Totally Crap...

Avoid the CPF and Im guessing their filters as well by the look and feel ... garbage, crap, waste, fecal matter..
I take issue with your assement of Cokin filters in general. I have taken many exceptional photographs over the years using Cokin filters. While I would not use one of their polarizers I have used many of the colored and gradient filters over the years with great success. Sure there are better quality square filters made from glass rather than the acrylic material used by Cokin but most people don't want to pay the $100.00 each that these filters cost. Because you had a bad experience with one filter, thats no reason to condem the whole Cokin line. One case in point......http://www.shuttercity.com/ShowPhoto.cfm?PhotoID=16507

This particular shot was made using two gradient Cokin filters inserted from opposite ends of the filter holder. While this technique would be easy to do using today's photo editing programs I took this shot in the early 1980's long before I started doing anything digital.

As far as removing the crayon marks from your polarizer, try a product called "GooGone"
Harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote