Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Mar 21, 2004, 10:23 AM   #1

Default portable storage, going to europe for a month

looking for a reliable portable storage unit as I'm going to europe for a month and won't have access to my computer. preferably something 20gigs and up, with verification and decent battery time, and something small as I'm backpacking.

I've been looking at the superdigibin and rca lyron. a view screen isn't a must have, although it'd be nice on those long train rides. price isn't really an issue.

thanks in advance
fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2004, 7:48 PM   #2

I use a 20gb Image Tank Works well, no screen, But is reliable.. battery power is Good, comes with AC adapter and a DC Adapter for a car hook up. Though little unit I have dropped it a couble times without any Ill effects... also a leather case.....Will do Sm and CF cards.... I think they have two models out now I bought mine 2 years ago for about $350... Don't know about an overseas power hook up but if you are on batterys you should be ok I would think.. Good Luck...
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2004, 3:57 AM   #3

Redundancy is the key - dep on how much you value the pics you may take on the trip. A portable CDRW drive with built in card reader would ensure your ongoing media costs are reasonable - and I think Steve recently reviewed a Vox... something image tank unit on this site that uses user purchasable notebook hard drives.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2004, 3:12 AM   #4

ROADSTOR !
John G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2004, 9:03 PM   #5

I heard that Flash HD to go from Mediagear is good. 20G to 60G, usb 2.0. also heard from my friends that they have free shipping too. you might give them a call. they are nice.

http://www.mymediagear.com/flash-hd_to_go/
mediasharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2004, 1:39 AM   #6

ROADSTOR.....YES !
John G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2004, 7:03 AM   #7
NHL

fresh wrote:
Quote:
... preferably something 20gigs and up, with verification and decent battery time...
ROADSTOR.....NO! http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...97&forum_id=20

Quote:
and something small as I'm backpacking...
... What is he going to do with thoses stacks of coasters (blank or otherwise)? :idea:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 7:22 PM   #8

I have an X's Drive Pro, Model VP-3310, installed a 60 GB laptop hardrive in it. It's about 3"x5"x1" and weighs about 1.5 lbs. Great for travelling and it doubles as an MP3 player . Cost $100 US for the unit + $120 USfor the HDD.
riva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2004, 12:41 PM   #9
Administrator

Just posted the review of Transcend's new Photobank, a very nice and very small 20GB unit that should be available real soon.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...photobank.html

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2004, 6:35 PM   #10

Steve,

Read your reviews on portable storage devices and can't decide on a hard drive unit or theCD type unit. I am a little squirmish on a hard drive unit thinking that the possible banging around in a camera bag or suit case may cause damage to the hard disk plate (fragile). The CD type would seem more durable, even though it has limited storage space of 700 mb per disk. My cards are not over 512 mb so I am not worried about going past the capacity of the CD. Size of storage unit is not much of a problem either.:?

Therefore, what are your thoughts between the two type of units?

Thank you
Gritty is offline   Reply With Quote