Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Jul 11, 2004, 9:16 PM   #11

tod651 wrote:
Quote:
I ¬*would think twice before getting a cheaper brand of LCD screen Protector. I just purchased ($9.99) Digital Camera Universal Screen Protectors (Sakar products) at the local Staples. It rendered the LCD screen useless when outside. All I could see was a reflection of myself. lol¬* I double checked and¬* it was applied correctly. The sticky side¬*was facing the screen. The side facing me was shiny!!!¬* So much for glare control.¬* I'm almost gun shy to try anything else.¬*
I just bought the same SAKAR "Digital Camera Universal Screen Protectors" for a Lumix DMC-FZ10 but I read your message before using them. I thought that they were specifically designed for this and that the residues (glue, etc.) would not be a problem. Do you think what you describe will happen to every LCD screen and is therefore due to the product being -well, not what it should be? What do you EXACTLY mean when you said it rendered your LCD useless and all you could see was a reflection? I want to protect my LCD, but...

If those SAKAR are useless, does anyone else have a good idea for protecting the LCD?

Thanks!
Jos√© A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2004, 6:16 PM   #12

Jake,

I have been using clear protective coverscalled Hoodskins. A package of 8-10 is about

$ 12.00. So farone is lasting me 6 months with no sign of wear. The material is similar to what you find on a new cell phone screen. Worksgood. They come in different sizes. Download their pdf templates to make sure your buying the right size. I've placed two different orders with them and have received the products very quickly.

See them at http://www.HoodmanUSA.com

Regards,

Makalu

Makalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2004, 7:56 PM   #13

how about using ones from pda's and cutting them to size?

pretty cheap and should be generous enough to cover the largest screen
trueno92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2004, 10:13 AM   #14

trueno92 wrote:
Quote:
how about using ones from pda's and cutting them to size?

pretty cheap and should be generous enough to cover the largest screen
Right on!! I bougth a set of 13 for 10‚ā¨. One PDA protector can be cut down to 3 LCD protectors for my little G400. It's cheap and I'm amazed that it didn't started to lift up the edges since my LCD is overexposed on the camera body.
ttretas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 11:40 AM   #15

So... what are those things "from pda's" and where can I get them?

Thanks.
Jos√© A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 6:40 PM   #16

Wish I would've used 'em. One year pocketed in a plastic bag.
Attached Images

Panzergnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2004, 12:04 PM   #17

I have also used the PDA screen protector, and it works great. However, is anyone else concerned about damaging the LCD when putting it on? You need to rub something flat over the sheet to get the bubbles out, and I'm not sure how good that is for the screen.

:?Big E
eykhong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 11:10 PM   #18

Those PDA screen protectors, where can you buy them? Do you suggest using one for a Canon A80? The screen can fold out and turn over to protect itself when not in use. Are those screen protectors mainly for cameras that have LCD's that are always exposed?
Kaiserbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 1:40 AM   #19

I think if your screen is hidden when not in use, you're OK. I use it mainly to protect it when it's in my pocket or in a bag.

eykhong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2004, 3:43 PM   #20

I recall seeing the PDA screen protectors at an Office Depot or Office Max, or some other warehouse-ish office supply place I was in recently, though I don't know how glare-y they are in use outdoors. I'm probably going to try one on my new Canon S60.
PaulDowds is offline   Reply With Quote